Hodan Prospecting Picks

On 9/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, Rob Allison said:

They were great picks, famous for the Walking Pick, 36" Handle.

Funny you mention that Rob. I always liked the Walking Pick, especially in Alaska where I worked on a lot of very steep slopes. I have one Hodan pick that is already on it's second handle, and I decided to convert it from a shortie to a walking pick. All you need is an Ames 2036200 handle.....

hodan-pick-digging-tool.jpg

hodan-walking-pick-digging-tool-handle-ames.jpg

hodan-walking-pick-digging-tool.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

No Skookum,

No reason to keep!😁 Just send it my way! What's the going price!?👍👍

• Haha 2

I’m not sure! Yesterday, I met an elderly lady who had several storage bins full of prospecting tools to sell. They hadn’t been opened in years since her husband passed away. I really didn’t need anything, but the pick looked so pretty and pristine I bought it anyway. I had heard the name Hodan, but admit to not knowing anything about them. Without any for sale online (not even completed listings on eBay), I was curious if they had any inherent value. The metal head appears thicker than my Doc’s pick. The handle is hefty. But, it seems like the current trend in detecting picks is to have a broader spade/adze at the end.  What’s the benefit of a Hodan?

5 minutes ago, Skookum said:

What’s the benefit of a Hodan?

They were very well made.    What part of the state are you in?  I am looking for some gear if that lady is in the Tucson area she could make some money from me.

• Like 1

Swegin, unfortunately, no other picks and she’s in the Phoenix valley. I’ll PM you details in case you’re still interested.

I have 2 Hodan picks, bought one for my detecting partner, we both like them. I only have to file the pick ends every couple of years to keep them sharp. 

I bought a long wooden handle that I am going to use to make a longer handle for one of my Hodan's, probably 36 or 38 inches. The metal portion of the pick is fairly light, the handle will not add very much but add some stability when I climb steep hills/ mountain sides while detecting, when balance is crucial. 

• Like 1