British Coin In Back Yard

Hey Kac,

I was just looking it up, only 1864 was small and large motto! His coin looks to be between AU(50) and MS(60) range! Beautiful coin! Can't wait to see the rest! (See only, not smell!!)🤮😂👍👍

20200930_233445.jpg

20200930_232346.jpg

20200930_232409.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The condition of that 2-cent piece is amazing.  Hopefully the oil isn't absorbed deeply into it.  And this was the only coin you've cleaned so far?  Or was it the only coin in the jar, period?

The coin still feels like it still has oil on it, and I need to let my lungs clear out before attempting to do any more.

There are 3 more coins left to clean, and they are the 2 larger silver coins with just a single gold one.

When I get brave enough I will tackle them and take some pictures to post.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, 

Two silver, AND A GOLD!!🤯

I think you just won all three spots in the Coin Olympics! Way to go!! Keep the luck running!!👍👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Curious to know how you determined it was whale oil? There are other oils that would smell as bad or worse; Seal, Walrus would be a couple.

There is a few Alaska transplants in this area and my grandmother called one of them. She came by and knew what the smell was as she had ran into it before. Also on the bottom of the jar it had an oil company name and the type of oil printed on the glass. So now I have to save the old stinky jar, but I am going to seal it with something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

That makes sense, good information.

I could send the bottle to you for a smell to see what you think it is, but I think the USPS would have me arrested.

The markings had a company by the name of NYE or something like that, I think that is who started the company.

They are still in business I think and are out of the New England area.

29 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The smell gives it some character 🙂

That smell is like a pack of skunks run over in the middle of the road in 100 degree weather, and you just had to walk through it. I have washed my hands at least 50 times and they still smell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you'd boiled your oil in Nigeria, no-one would've batted an eyelid, they would assume you're just making a big pot of delicious skunk, tripe and fish head stew, they may even come over offering recipe suggestions. " You need more chillies in it!"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

There are 3 more coins left to clean, and they are the 2 larger silver coins with just a single gold one.

I don't know if that will make the experience worthwhile, but it ought to go a long way.  Be careful about over-cleaning until you've been able to value the coins.  You've now blown by me in terms of quality of coins (large silver and gold!).

One solvent used by numismatists to remove plastic oils, etc. from coins is acetone.  You can get it (typically quart-size can) at hardware stores, lumber yards, etc.  Keep in mind that it isn't the greatest thing to breathe (probably better than rancid whale oil, though) so best to use it outside.  It also will steal water from your skin so wearing surgical gloves (cheap kind is fine) is also a good idea.  Try it on your 2-cent piece first and see if that helps remove the stench.  If you have a clean glass jar with lid just put enough acetone in it to completely cover the coin (say by about 1/4 inch) and close the lid.  Leave it for a day and see if there is any improvement.  Acetone is very volatile so definitely need a lid.  Also, the acetone will probably eat the lid seal away if it's plastic/rubber, so I'd minimize the contact of the liquid with that seal, just to prevent more messes.

After following my advice to soften the previous gunk, though, what I say now is likely going quickly in one ear and out the other, if it even makes it that far.  🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I could send the bottle to you for a smell to see what you think it is, but I think the USPS would have me arrested.

The markings had a company by the name of NYE or something like that, I think that is who started the company.

They are still in business I think and are out of the New England area.

Although i sincerely thank you for your most generous offer, I believe I will decline it at this time. I was a trapper for a lot of my adult life and at times had to make up some serious 'stinky' for my trapping lure. Rotted whale oil would fit that category very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1