British Coin In Back Yard

I was thinking maybe Nye lubricates may want to buy the jar and contents from you, to put in the company museum! Maybe they will even formulate a coin preservative from the recipe to market; minus the stench!

If nothing else, it could be sold to the military for fighting terrorists! Think of it; not a bullet fired, nor life risked! Just drop a few dozen jars on a terrorist stronghold, and they would vacate immediately! And they would be banned by all other's from hiding out amongst them!😂👍👍

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I was thinking maybe Nye lubricates may want to buy the jar and contents from you,

They are the ones that have made an offer on the jar, as it is the only one that still has it's original lid.

I never thought about the jar as being a weapon of mass destruction, but you just might be onto something with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

(Nye Lubricants) are the ones that have made an offer on the jar, as it is the only one that still has it's original lid.  (emphasis mine)

That might be the most amazing part of this story yet.  You can still top it if one of the remaining coins is itself a rarity.  (And that doesn't mean it has to be unique -- far from it.  Coin collectors number in the millions.  Whale oil jar collectors are probably almost as rare as the jar itself.  :biggrin:)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

bump

VL was a legend before I got here , wasn't he ?

Looks like I'm late to this party ! (what I get for going down a rabbit hole)                                                               Now I have to find out...back to the rabbit hole.

If any of this stinky stuff still remains ,,,,I think it would be great in a crab trap !

Beautiful coin, don't clean it in any way. It's perfectly dug! If patina dries out maybe a very light coat of mineral or, olive oil. I'm old school though, maybe something better being used now. Never clean, unless you know what to do. It can kill value! Once patina is gone, it's gone for a very long time!

• Thanks 1