British Coin In Back Yard

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

It come up pretty good with a clean by the looks of it.

I would like to see if I can get it cleaner if possible, I think it would go great with some of the I H pennies that grandfather had found. The ground is always dry in that area even after a rain.

That's a nice looking coin, and I'd be suggesting not to try cleaning any more. Cleaning can be difficult at best with these GIIIR coins - where it it rare to see one out the ground looking so nice. Over here (UK) these are normally green with the surface detail a mass of small corroded craters, but every so often a nice one may turn up depending on the ground.

Nice find.

• Like 3

You've joined the 18th Century club so early in your detecting career!  (I haven't, yet.)  Very nice!  Your grandmother obviously lives in an historic site.  You (and your grandfather) have told us about the church that was there from long ago.  Maybe this cabin preceded it.

I agree with Stu that this coin looks quite nice as is.  Cleaning further will only drop its eye-appeal (to most).  'Patina' is something prized in collecting.  I'm sure your grandfather, who you've told us was involved in antiques, would agree.

• Like 4

That is older than any of mine coins,but at least Simon and me are in countries that are 200 years newer than USA with British occupation. 😏 That is a fantastic find. As for cleaning coins wait till you have a lot of them (which will not be long) then look at the dates and mint numbers and experiment on those that you are willing sacrifice, however a bit of water and soap once the dirt and grit have been removed is OK. Keep the legend going.

• Like 3

Well done. I wouldn't clean it any more than it is.

How deep was it? Thinking you may have some fringe targets that may not give you the best numbers so go by the size of the sound, look for the whispers.

• Like 3

Fantastic find Caleb,

I agree with the others! Do not clean it any more! Too easy to ruin the patina, and the coin! If you absolutely have to have it cleaner, let a professional do it! And any trash you find on that site may be of relic status! I'm sure there are at least a few more old coins to be found! Keep at it!👍👍

• Like 1

That is a absolutely cracking find,a lovely George111,the patination on it is about as good as it gets,of course its your find and very well done but my advice is 'Do Not Clean It' you will kill the desirability that coin collects look for in such a coin.

Over the years have seen some stunning/valuable and rare coins rendered worthless because someone has used cleaning agents like chemicals,abrasive and even electrolysis they may make them look clean and shiny but because they have done that have also rendered the item worth absolutely zero because of that one mistake.

Leave it as it is,its a stunning example of G111,a reasonably hard coin to find even in the UK but i doubt that you will ever find another one with such amazing patina and that is what you can replicate over night but you can kill it by cleaning it in minutes.

• Like 2

Great find Caleb,

I wouldn't clean it anymore. Just remember that the patina tells the history of the coin or any other object you find. You will find a great deal of joy in trying to figure out who lost it, or the amount made and by who. The thought of remembering the past is where the value of your finds are. Keep that in mind and all your finds will be GREAT.

• Like 1