Crater Of Diamonds

Bear

I have hunted there...........super hot, humid, the horseflies are gigantic and mosquitoes and chiggers were on me day and night. I preferred to work my material wet so I was covered in mud for three days and it rained all three days. So, don't go in the summer. Fall or early spring is better, before it gets too hot or the local insects say hello. 

Definitely take a teenager or younger person along, especially someone lucky who never gives up so you may actually find a diamond or two. 

For a geology loving person, the park is amazing. Digging in a kimberlite pipe in the middle of a volcanic crater is extremely cool. The campground is spartan but the park office is very nice. Plus, Mt. Ida and its amazing clear quartz crystals are only an hour away.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Grandfather was there in the 80's, spent 2 days digging and washing. He found a 1/2 carat which grandmother wears around her neck. It is almost a yellowish color and goes good with the gold necklace.

• Like 4

On my list to go when my daughter gets a little older (need a Sherpa), and that Gem Mountain park with all kinds of gem stones is out that way too and would like a visit there as well.