Couple Indian Heads In Short River Hunt

Man, I thought I had some iron problems, you got me beat. looks like an old trash can lid with a sprinkle of salt water!!!!

• The title was changed to Couple Ih's In Short Riverhttps://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/13957-couple-ihs-in-short-river-hunt/ Hunt.

Nice hunt in tough conditions. Are any of the 2 Indians early dates? Nice that you found a musket ball too. I bet that lead sounded loud

n

• The title was changed to Couple Indian Heads In Short River Hunt

IH's were 1903 and 1892. The 03 almost looked like gold at first and had a low number 60's. Not sure why the drastic color difference, maybe one is bronze and other is brass?  Musket ball is fairly small so think it might have been from a pistol. Tons of lead as you see in the pic. Buddy picked up what looked like a ct coin further down stream towards the short I may have skipped over but it was in rough shape.

• Like 2

Great hunting and a couple of good I H coins.

Wish you more luck on your next outing.

You can always use some of those weights with your fly fishing  setup to knock them out when they go after the flies.

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the IH pennies! That ground looks brutal but probably keeps some of the competition away.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kac said:

IH's were 1903 and 1892. The 03 almost looked like gold at first and had a low number 60's. Not sure why the drastic color difference, maybe one is bronze and other is brass?

I don't know what your low 60's corresponds to on my detectors.  Where is a Zincoln and where is a copper Memorial on your scale?  From ~1962-82 the Memorials were all 95% copper, 5% zinc.  All USA small cents were 95% copper until the Stinkin's arrived in second part of 1982.  The only difference was how much tin and how much zinc made up the 5% (and until ~1962 the mint never specified that split).

Bottom line is that every 95% copper cent I've ever found is at or higher than the cleanest (top edge digital TID) Zincoln.

Should we assume you are using the Gold Racer until further notice?

• Like 1

Copper pennies are usually 72-78 depending the year and ground, some the spots puts them below a zincoln which are 63-66 if i remember my id scale right on that machine. This was with the Multi Kruzer in normal mode (same id across frequencies).

The Gold Racer does pretty well in that ground but lacks depth due to the high frequency and small coil. The river is tidal in that area so I also don't want to get any salt on that machine.

• Like 2