A Long Short Trip!

mn90403

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Gerry, you ought to know better than to exaggerate here....  I checked Google Maps and Boise to Imlay is 290 miles, so 300 to Rye Patch (depending upon your exact destination) seems about right.  So far you're good.  On to check-step 2.  300 miles divided by 5 hours is 60 mph.  Hmmm.  I rode with you in your truck on one of those Rye Patch area dirt (they call them 'gravel' but we all know better) county roads and I looked over at the speedometer (without having to take off my seatbelt -- wouldn't dare have done that!) and you were doing over 60 mph then.  Just ask the jack-rabbits who were scrambling for their lives if you don't believe me.  So you go the same speed on US 95???  😁  I'm guessing ~3 hrs, with your radar detector on, of course.

Good story, though.  Just wish (for effect) you would have included a photo of that boot tack.

I've done the trip probably 100+ times so I have the mileage down pat.  Timing is pretty close as well.  I once did Boise to Winnemucca in 3 hrs 15 minutes when I was much younger and had to average 80 MPH, so the straight open was 105, but that is all the truck would do.

I've since grew a few old man issues and at least 1 stop, sometimes 2 to water down a dried out sage bush.  Plus I also stop in Winnemucca to gas up and of course Walmart is a lifesaver, for the items I seem to forget.  Now the average trip from Boise with all my stops and then to the Burn Barrell at RP is right near 6 hours.

Yes those rabbits are hard to peel from the front grille.  Not good trying to swerve on that road when doing 80 though. Keep it straight and steady.  

BTW as for the flat tires at Rye Patch.  I run 10 ply and go fast.  That way, if I do get a puncture, I can get to camp just as it gets flat enough to stop.  It is one of those centrifical force things that keeps the air from going out so fast.

Glad you are making sure my stories are not stretched to much.  But then, they would not be as entertaining...

• Like 2

Gerry,

Does that Walmart sell Picks?!🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Does that Walmart sell Picks?

Yes,,,, for your teeth.

• Haha 2

Drove from Salt Lake City to Wickenburg leaving early one morning looking for a road to some claims to a club I belong to, missed the road and drove 20-25 miles to the East before I realized I had driven too far. Turned around and found the road but it was dark by that time to attempt to drive several more miles to the claims. Decided to stay at a motel in Wickenburg, parked under a parking lamp in the parking lot and took my detectors into my room. Came out the next morning to find much of my equipment had been stolen, tent, bag containing pick, backpack, snake guards, tool box, gas cans, ect. Left at that time early and drove back to Salt Lake, long drive. I think I slept 9-10 hours after getting back home. Long, long drive in a short amount of time. 

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

MSC, Sorry for your losses,

Criminals suck!!

Good thing you took your detectors inside! Did the motel have any camera's on the parking lot? Hope you get your stuff back!!👍👍 

No cameras, the attendant didn't even seem to want to hear about what I was talking about, kind of a glassy look in his eyes. I knew really that there was no sense in even bringing the problem to the establishment. Still, it really was my fault in trusting that things would be OK. It really can have an effect on a persons trust and perspective on how you view others, too bad, I hate to think that way.  

That attendant is part of the problem; along with management! Who doesn't have cameras on a commercial property of any kind now, let alone residential! 

Your a better man than me! I would be like a pitbull latched onto their a$$, until they made some attempt to rectify! But i understand your feelings!😪 👍👍