A Long Short Trip!

mn90403

More later? Well... I'm sure it will be well worth it, especially the photos. Regarding Mitchel's ability and endurance as a long-distance driver: he is the kind of guy who can leave Santa Monica at 2:00 am, to arrive in Yucca Valley at 5:00 am, pick me up, and by 6:00 am be at the Rattlesnake Canyon trailhead, all kitted up, about to start the 2 mile hike to the old Spanish Workings. Dig and detect all day, back in Yucca at 8:00 pm, to be back in Santa Monica by 11:00 pm. Really. Hey, the guy runs marathons! My hero. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well ... other obligations keep me from finishing this story in a timely fashion.  I don't want to spoil the suppositions about a nugget in the scoop but I must do that before I finish the story.  The scoop is filled with a nemesis we all face.  It was a bullet at the bottom of an 8" hole among the roots.  When it came out I could only think of my Australia trip where I dug a deeper bullet that was going to change my Australia trip.  It still hurts that it was a shot fired so far down into the ground.

I will finish and give some meaning to the pictures I posted up.  I was thinking of you Simon when I took a couple of the pics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You didn't get that bullet on a WSPA claim, I think I got the last one!

Norm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mitchel, You know best.  Only the folks who go and try to find gold will be lucky enough to accomplish it.  Not all trips have a shiny ending, but we learn from each of them.

I've done some crazy drive trips of my own on times past and will probably do another  in the future.  Yes our older bodies feel it, but our younger minds still think it is doable.

I've driven from Boise, Idaho to Rye Patch, NV to hunt for the day and drove back home the same evening.  That's over 300 miles to get there (5 hr driving) and then hunt for 8 hrs and then turn around and drive over 300 miles back to Boise.  Only thing different, was I did manage to find a few nuggies.

Love the pics and thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I've driven from Boise, Idaho to Rye Patch, NV to hunt for the day and drove back home the same evening.  That's over 300 miles to get there (5 hr driving)

Gerry, you ought to know better than to exaggerate here....  I checked Google Maps and Boise to Imlay is 290 miles, so 300 to Rye Patch (depending upon your exact destination) seems about right.  So far you're good.  On to check-step 2.  300 miles divided by 5 hours is 60 mph.  Hmmm.  I rode with you in your truck on one of those Rye Patch area dirt (they call them 'gravel' but we all know better) county roads and I looked over at the speedometer (without having to take off my seatbelt -- wouldn't dare have done that!) and you were doing over 60 mph then.  Just ask the jack-rabbits who were scrambling for their lives if you don't believe me.  So you go the same speed on US 95???  😁  I'm guessing ~3 hrs, with your radar detector on, of course.

Good story, though.  Just wish (for effect) you would have included a photo of that boot tack.

• Haha 1