I’m Curious About This Ring

Beautiful ring!! This will work with patience, I use this on shipwreck silver coins.

Go to the store and get s gallon of distilled water, put the ring on the window sill in a little jar and cover it with distilled water. Every week you can top it off and rinse it with a little detergent. The black will dissolve and become a little slimy.

If you can get some lab grade 18 megohm water it works even better.

I've used my mineralized tap
water and it works well.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tmox said:

Beautiful ring!! This will work with patience, I use this on shipwreck silver coins.

Go to the store and get s gallon of distilled water, put the ring on the window sill in a little jar and cover it with distilled water. Every week you can top it off and rinse it with a little detergent. The black will dissolve and become a little slimy.

If you can get some lab grade 18 megohm water it works even better.

I've used my mineralized tap
water and it works well.

Cheers,

Tim

I forgot to add that the most desirable water is deionized water

I would say no doubt a coin ring..........Any 14k gold with a inset has to be something special. I think a jeweler is your best and safest Opp.

You have a picture of the Hallmark or Fineness mark on the ring? That may help some on the ID of the ring. The piece looks rather crusty but I know some you can let them soak in water and then hold at a angle under the light and makeout faint details..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tvr said:

For electrolysis, I use a model train transformer and watch it carefully. Less power than the battery charger shown above, adjustable and yet I still need to watch to make sure I'm not loosing the silver too.

A long time ago I was cleaning a small silver chain. Forgot about constantly checking the electrolysis process. Needless to say...no more chain. 

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

15 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I would have a jeweler possibly remove the coin for proper cleaning! That way, the setting won't be damaged!

This sounds like a critical step, IMO.  The copper/silver that's alloyed with the gold could be affected by any cleaning method, even soaking in de-ionized water as Tmox suggests.  Electrolysis?  Add a couple orders of magnitude of concern.

My guess (and it's simply that) is that it may be a coin merely of particular meaning to the individual, such as dated with year-of-birth, a family memento, etc.  Yes, it could also have numismatic value so care in cleaning, as always, is a good idea.  Just be careful not to "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Pretty interesting find!

• Like 2

If it s a silver coin wrap the ring in aluminum foil and salt in a small cup and pour boiling water.Wait 10min and check renew the operation if needed.

RR

• Like 1

There's no way to know how much damage was done by the sulfides, but at least if a professional does the cleaning, you won't be kicking yourself for damage you may have done! That goes for the setting too! Different cleaning methods are used for different alloys; another words, the ring may need to be seperated from the coin for proper cleaning!

If nothing else, at least take it in to a couple of professionals for their opinions! I'm sure they will not give you any guarantee's on the results, but they should have some expectation's of what can be done! 

If it is indeed a coin, it was probably near mint condition when placed in the setting! My wife has a beautiful Platinum Panda coin in a white gold setting that was a graduation gift!

Good luck wading through all the suggestions here! And I'm sure that we all want to see what it is, when your done!!💍👍👍

• Like 1

Bummer on the coin, but at least you got a nice band out of it!👍👍