The grey thing mounted in this is I suspect a silver coin. Any suggestions on cleaning it to see what it is?

C4ADC9E6-57BD-4976-9CC3-9476635A00B2.jpeg

• Like 9

Is the ring gold? what purity?

Nice find Rick, was that an AQ find??

I'm thinking some sort of collectible silver coin, based on the buildup, and the setting! I don't believe a platinum coin would have a concretion like that!

I would have a jeweler possibly remove the coin for proper cleaning! That way, the setting won't be damaged! The setting look's custom for what it is holding, and is very nice! Let us know when it's cleaned! Post a pic!!👍👍

• Like 4

Coin or emblem maybe. Platinum would be pretty clean. My guess silver.

• Like 2

I would use electrolysis. Just keep an eye on it, so you don't go too long. Here is a silver I cleaned a few months ago. I don't usually clean any of it, but this one stirred my imagination. Just used a small battery charger.

silver encrusted 1.jpeg

silver encrusted 2.jpeg

silver encrusted electy.jpeg

• Like 4

I agree that electrolysis would probably do the job but I would proceed with caution. That could be a valuable coin being that it is set in gold. I agree with JoeD and would probably have a capable jeweler involved.

• Like 6

For electrolysis, I use a model train transformer and watch it carefully. Less power than the battery charger shown above, adjustable and yet I still need to watch to make sure I'm not loosing the silver too.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Maria
      Good Evening!
      Sorry if my question is a bit naïve ...
      I saw a lot of beads being sold as " blue Shou Shan Stone" or "snakeskin jasper" or all of that together. They all look the same like in the pictures attached. But real Shou Shan stone looks completely different (and snakeskin jasper too). So, what is it? Man-made? Thank you, Maria

• By TreasureHunter5
      I found this awhile back in a local park it seems to be a old us army collar pin it has a screw type backing on it. Does anyone know why the  back does not have a traditional pin with the cap? Does anyone know what year(s) it could range in? I would love to know some more information on it! The guns are a little bent but it cleaned up enough for it to look nice. Let me know what you think!

• By TreasureHunter5
      This is a ring I just found on my last trip to the beach this summer. It looks like some sort of German ring with the iron cross and eagles on the side. It has no markings on the inside. Can it be from WW2? Does anyone have any information on an age or what it means? I would love to hear your thoughts!

• By 57buick
      Any of you coin collectors that can tell me maybe what type of error this is called and what it might be worth? It is a 2006 Nevada Quarter but it appears it was never struck with the reeds on the edges it has very high lip on both sides and measures 1mm smaller diameter than it should but weighs exactly 5.66 grams as it should. Its clearly not worn just not stamped correctly. I googled and couldnt find anything similar.

• By Anne
      Hello 
      I’m looking for help identifying if this rock is a meteorite