I also rely on the SPo1. Cranking the volume up straight from the GPZ, for me, brings with it "messy" audio (the best I can describe it from an incredibly "lay" perspective).
When I use either the B&Z - which I used for a decade - or now with the SPo1 specifically, I can keep a lower "less messy" audio volume on the 7000 yet raise and brighten the volume of signals (using the #1 setting). Obviously this is tragically untechnical, but I know what I hear, and using the SPo1, my signals stand out and are crisper.

I should add that I have hearing loss in both ears, with one worse than the other, and perhaps what the enhancer is able to do has a more marked effect on my hearing than someone with normal hearing. 

• Like 3

I love all of the good information that has been added to my post. I should have made it clear in my first post my reason for having my friend try my set up in the first place. We were both early adopters of the GPZ, he immediately didn't like the WM 12 for several reasons and just stayed with using his headphones plugged into the detector and has never been wireless. I was trying to give him an option that I thought he would like.

Norm

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I feel the best setup is

GPZ > Good quality Wireless Transmitter > SP01 > Speaker/headphones.

Need a wireless receiver in there too prior to the SPO1.  I only point that out (for others, I know you know this Simon) because if someone were to try to accomplish what you are doing with the Quest (which is comprised of both a transmitter and separate receiver) using a Trond or equivalent B/T transceivers vice the Quest or WM12, it will take both a transmitter and receiver B/T unit to accomplish that task. 

57 minutes ago, normmcq said:

I love all of the good information that has been added to my post. I should have made it clear in my first post my reason for having my friend try my set up in the first place. We were both early adopters of the GPZ, he immediately didn't like the WM 12 for several reasons and just stayed with using his headphones plugged into the detector and has never been wireless. I was trying to give him an option that I thought he would like.

Norm

And it should work out for him, Norm, if he is able to find the right GPZ mounting point for the Trond transmitter to avoid the interference.  I feed the audio output of my GPX battery/amp combo (mounted side saddle on the control box) directly into a Trond transmitter and use my Equinox equivalent wireless headphones to untether from the GPX.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to hear what Nenad or Pat have to say about what the SP01 filter is doing. Info is slim in their literature. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but it appears to me to be doing something like either lowering/filtering the threshold/volume/volume limit or using some type of audio smoothing to "brighten" up the target signals.

What I'm wondering is if backing off the threshold or using low smoothing to achieve the SP01 filter effect within the GPZ itself allows one to crank the volume and volume limit up higher without experiencing the distortion reported or needing to use a 3rd party module. I have run low thresholds and low smoothing since day 1 for the most part, potentially why I don't see a need for an SP01 myself?

Question: does everyone here relying on an SP01 to clean up or brighten the audio with the filter function run more or less JP's recommended settings with a high threshold (let's say 22+) and no audio smoothing?

What I'm curious about is if these settings are just introducing a lot of noise that people are eliminating with the SP01 rather than the onboard GPZ controls because it's considered bad form to do so with the latter, but not the former. That would also create a situation where it's better to run the GPZ at lower volume and then boost it with a module, if the sheer amount of noise is overwhelming the audio processor in the GPZ at any except low amplification. 

Running a thold too high will mask smaller signals with noise, giving the impression they need to be amplified when the actual sound level may be audible if the noise floor was simply just reduced with the onboard GPZ processing, and the volume stayed the same. The volume could then be raised for those with hearing damage too.

The volume limit can also be raised along with the volume, especially when you've cleaned up the amount of noise. I'm curious what people have their volume limit set to as well.

I don't have an SP01 to test or I'd try to answer my own questions here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have tried my butt off to find the reason JP said using a booster is beneficial by keeping the internal GPZ volume low, cant find it.

Haven’t got time to find the exact quote but I am sure it is something like...keeping the Volume setting on the GPZ low is important, as increasing the Volume by 1 is akin to increasing the Sensitivity by 2.  Not exact but pretty close I think.  

Therefore, this allowed the GPZ audio to remain very smooth/undistorted  (but unfortunately too quiet) and the booster then allowed some adjustable volume to that undistorted signal post leaving the GPZ.  

I found this worked for me well.  

I also do not understand using the WM12 and a 3rd party wireless setup in combination which I think Chase eluded to.  

My setup was GPZ to WM12 to B&Z (or SPO1 in this case) to GME speaker.  In this instance some headphones could be plugged into the Booster in lieu of the speaker.  All held pretty neatly together and out of the way on a CamelBak type, light pack. 

I 100% agree with some comments that the WM12 speaker capabilities are poor.  Even just a volume adjust like the ProSonic has would help.  

However, the actual audio signal coming from a smooth GPZ - I could listen to that all day   🤩

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Northeast said:

I also do not understand using the WM12 and a 3rd party wireless setup in combination which I think Chase eluded to.

I was referring to Norm's stated setup that he described in the original post on the thread. He later stated that he prefers wireless phones to being tethered by wired phones to the SPO1.  I'll leave it to Norm to explain further, if needed.

• Like 1

The basic reason I bought the Trond transmitter receiver was to use with my 3030. After buying over the ear headphones to use with my 800, my impression was that I was hearing the signals better than with my wired headphones. I used that set up on my GPZ and still think so.

Norm

This is a great discussion guys! I very much enjoy this thread. I hope one particular person will chime in as I think his thoughts would add a lot of value and perspective....

Hey Guys, 

Great discussion.

Here's my take on the wireless EMI issue. Firstly I would use something like the Quest Wirefree Mate system. I have found it extremely resistant to EMI issues and very reliable. I would certainly experiment with placement of the TX unit near the 7000 control box and make sure it wasn't mounted near the sides as Simon indicated previously. The other good thing about the Quest system is that it doesn't seem to color the audio.

Now for the sP01. yes it will boost audio, but it also manipulates the audio. When I designed it, its primary purpose was to convert those deep broad target responses and put more of an edge on them so they stand out more. Of course this will also make all targets more noticeable which is why its been such a success on the 2300. I've pull deep targets using a 4500 that were barely a whisper without the sP01. With the sP01 connected, you could here a definite target response. One target I remember in particular (only because my back went out digging the hole) was a small piece down 900mm, the length of my pick handle (35" for my American friends). 

Cheers and good luck out there.

regards Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, thanks Pat.  Now let's all start using the name the way Pat does.  sP01  !!!