12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

that's why I've gone to so much effort to find a way to keep using the SP01. 

Haha phrunt, clip it on your shoulder strap and forget about it. (joke)

5 hours ago, SteelPhase said:

convert those deep broad target responses and put more of an edge on them

Thanks for the clarification Pat. 

As a side note, what does (or doesn’t) the sPO1 do for broad, ground noise targets?  

17 hours ago, normmcq said:

The basic reason I bought the Trond transmitter receiver was to use with my 3030. After buying over the ear headphones to use with my 800, my impression was that I was hearing the signals better than with my wired headphones. I used that set up on my GPZ and still think so.

Norm

Like others I also don’t get it Norm,

The 3030 also comes with wireless TX built in and the WM 10 RX, so why the need for another wireless system?

Having two wireless systems on one detector is asking for trouble.

I think Norm has said it a couple of times.  He wants to use his Bluetooth headphones.  His friend didn't put the WM12 into the mix and got the EMI.  I think Norm will now experiment where to put the Trond and go without the WMs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I think Norm has said it a couple of times.  He wants to use his Bluetooth headphones.  His friend didn't put the WM12 into the mix and got the EMI.  I think Norm will now experiment where to put the Trond and go without the WMs.

The problem arises for Norm if he still wants to chain in the SP01 somewhere and get rid of the WM12.  His friend was running with no booster which significantly uncomplicated life provided he finds a suitable GPZ mounting point for the Trond.  In Norm’s case, he has 2 unattractive choices (provided he insists on continuing running wireless between the SP01 and his phones): 1) Plug the booster into the GPZ h/p Jack and the Trond on the output of the SP01.  That configuration requires tricky mounting of both the SP01 and Trond somewhere on the GPZ and keeps the booster out of convenient reach.  2) plug one Trond into the GPZ h/p Jack and mount it on the GPZ.  Rig up a Trond receiver plugged into the input of the SP01 and paired to the GPZ Trond and put a separate Trond transmitter on the output of the SP01 and chest mount that whole mess and pair the SP01 output Trond with his headphones.  That whole thing becomes a BT pairing nightmare, though.  Everything looks pretty ugly if you want to use the SP01 in the mix and insist on not plugging wired phones into the SP01 output.   My recommendation is that if he wants to run with the SP01 chest mounted and the 800 phones, he sticks with his current WM12/BT setup, especially since it was working for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

This clearly explains the benefit of something like the sP01 or B&Z Booster, as you can keep that volume low and let the booster do the work.  I can have my GPZ volume on 1 (lowest) and it be VERY loud using my sP01.

what I was haltingly trying to say in my post above.
(Although I too would certainly take JP's advice 'way before mine)

Increasing volume is like increasing sensitivity? That's a new on me.

Volume is specifically an audio function. Sensitivity is an RX function related to amplification of the raw detected signal, not the audio signal. Is this not the case with the GPZ?

If what he says is true, then wouldn't all of us who run at 20 sensitivity want to be running higher GPZ volumes to get more sensitivity beyond 20 instead of lowering the GPZ volume and using a booster to bring it back up?

26 minutes ago, jasong said:

If what he says is true, then wouldn't all of us who run at 20 sensitivity want to be running higher GPZ volumes to get more sensitivity beyond 20 instead of lowering the GPZ volume and using a booster to bring it back up?

No.  As stated previously the non-linear audio amplification used in the GPZ distorts the signal and also raises the noise floor as you crank its output.  So using the GPZ amp as a pre-amp to the booster in the low volume region of the GPZ audio amp where distortion and noise are minimized is preferred.  Letting the equalization circuit of the booster color the signal to compensate for the audio response of the speaker or headphones being used and then also applying the cleaner low-distortion, low-noise audio amplification of the booster provides a cleaner, boosted signal that emulates the effect of increasing sensitivity when indeed you are actually only boosting the audio.  Put simply, the booster amp is cleaner than the GPZ amp and provides variable equalization that is absent in the GPZ audio circuit.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's the best explanation of it I've heard Chase!   When using the booster small targets stand out better, I think Pat should have put a bypass on the filter knob on the sP01 as it'd make doing demonstration videos of how it works much easier so instead of just 3 filter modes it should have a 4th which is bypass.  That'd be handy to have.

Agree re: bypass.  Now I'm disappointed I can't get my hands on one.  Lol.

• Oh my! 1