Boon Docking While Prospecting

1515Art

Thats a very nice looking rig,that would work exceptionally well here in the UK when we are able to go back detecting again and weekend rallies.

We have similar type of trailer over here but they are often called 'Teardrops' they are the same basic size but have a side profile of a teardrop,mainly used just for sleeping in more than anything else,would prefer to be off the ground and in one of these than say a bit of flimsy canvas like a tent lol

• Like 1

Thanks, I think if I can get in where I want to it’ll be good, time will tell and I’ve got a lot of learning to do. 

I hope you can get back out soon challenging times for everyone except for the small and off grid camper sales, lol.

Everything’s sold out prices are sky high, there’s been a rush on guns and rv’s here, lot of well armed Winnebagos running around gotta be careful who I piss off. little trailer isn’t much more than a hard side tent with a door lock an intruder can’t get in unless he was equipped with something similar to a screw driver or say a rock, hmm then different story. But, all I need it’s a lot like a tear drop except no galley space out the back everything’s done inside, storage space is limited lot of complaints on that but After living limited to what I can stuff in my Jeep seems fine for me. I am curious to learn how well it holds up carefully driving it off road in Arizona around the gold basin fire roads, I think it’ll be ok in a lot of spots if I drive slow and stay out of the washes and Jeep trails, lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I’m a little concerned about camp security, getting back in some place where turning around might be difficult and beating the camper to pieces dragging it along dirt roads (I know, slow down). I’m wondering what solutions other have found?

Nice looking rig!  Is there an intermediate solution -- dropping the camper off at a convenient spot and driving the last distance (<20 miles) on day trips?  Yes, depending upon where you drop it there may be concerns of theft, but it seems like there is always some risk unless you stay within earshot.

• Thanks 1

You'll be able to get that rig in and out of pretty much any of those roads in Gold Basin where people camp, no problem. Guys take 40ft 5th wheels back there. 

It's fairly safe back there during prospecting season, It's when everyone leaves during the summer that you have to be careful leaving stuff unattended back there. Some of the prospectors who basically live out there will watch after your stuff while they are there if you make friends with them.

The only place I'd feel iffy making camp and leaving it unattended is on the roads behind Gold Basin. The tweakers out of Dolan Springs and White Hills use those roads to go run their meth and stash their stolen stuff, Cyclopic and the Senator mine roads. It's a bit better now with the recent busts but I see some sketchy looking people still every now and then, and when I see people hide when I roll over the hill I assume they are up to no good.

Also, if you have to go into a town for propane, water, dump your tanks, etc - I would go to Meadview instead of Dolan Springs. That Dolan Springs RV park is questionable, trash/feces ridden, and I don't trust some of the people that stay there one bit. Both Meadview parks are good, run by good trustworthy people, and the people that stay are not usually the questionable types but just other prospectors or tourists.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thinking of what you said about being afraid to try to turn it in tight spots seemed reasonable. But after seeing it, it looks small enough that if you had to you could just unhook, turn the Jeep and then turn the trailer by hand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Art, that is a nice looking little rig. I think it is just like the one that Fred Mason used for years and he took it many places. Upgrading to a heavy duty tire would be my first option for off road travel. If you are mostly going to Gold Basin, I would make contact with "One Legged Dave" and see about renting a spot at his place to store it between trips.

Good luck out there,    Norm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice looking rig!  Is there an intermediate solution -- dropping the camper off at a convenient spot and driving the last distance (<20 miles) on day trips?  Yes, depending upon where you drop it there may be concerns of theft, but it seems like there is always some risk unless you stay within earshot.

I think sometimes I’ll do the drop off and take advantage of the security and hook ups, if I can it’d be nice to set-up right where I can run the dry washer and stay at it longer than the quick little runs I’ve been doing While detecting. I guess when I need to just drop it someplace so I can get back in where the trailer can’t go I’m at risk the most if in the unlikely chance the wrong person stumbles on to it, so I’ll lock everything best I can and a $50 cordless right angle grinder will cut through it all in a few minutes although I did pick up a super tough extra thick padlock at ace hardware that ironically was locked up itself and try to find a matching chain. 

2 hours ago, jasong said:

You'll be able to get that rig in and out of pretty much any of those roads in Gold Basin where people camp, no problem. Guys take 40ft 5th wheels back there. 

It's fairly safe back there during prospecting season, It's when everyone leaves during the summer that you have to be careful leaving stuff unattended back there. Some of the prospectors who basically live out there will watch after your stuff while they are there if you make friends with them.

The only place I'd feel iffy making camp and leaving it unattended is on the roads behind Gold Basin. The tweakers out of Dolan Springs and White Hills use those roads to go run their meth and stash their stolen stuff, Cyclopic and the Senator mine roads. It's a bit better now with the recent busts but I see some sketchy looking people still every now and then, and when I see people hide when I roll over the hill I assume they are up to no good.

Also, if you have to go into a town for propane, water, dump your tanks, etc - I would go to Meadview instead of Dolan Springs. That Dolan Springs RV park is questionable, trash/feces ridden, and I don't trust some of the people that stay there one bit. Both Meadview parks are good, run by good trustworthy people, and the people that stay are not usually the questionable types but just other prospectors or tourists.

Thanks Jason I hoped you’d comment good to know I should be ok on most of that grid of roads, I’m planning on hitting a claim I’ve never been to on the gold basin road side of that area within that grid of roads is that the safer area you are talking about? I’m going to park the Jeep and trailer keeping the trailer top down and padlocked while I’m off and head out on foot for short trips. there’s a alarm siren thing I could buy off Amazon I hide/bolt to the trailer that’s got an ir range of 50’ if anyone gets inside that zone will sound an alarm you can hear from pretty far away that might make somebody think twice and give me a chance to unload a round from the 10mm into the ground if I’m close enough. 

good to know about the trailer parks I looked online at the Meadview I’ll use that one and avoid the Dolan location I may even rent a spot from time to time and make it a base. I do feel slightly better knowing they got that group that hit you out of the way for a while, unless they turned em loose so they don’t get sick, geez that would be just tragic if they were to become ill. Seems no matter how many they pick up if they keep em that is there’s always more to fill the void I guess, to bad you can’t ever let your guard down. Having a connection there and getting to know the locals is great advice that probably is about the best thing I can do.

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thinking of what you said about being afraid to try to turn it in tight spots seemed reasonable. But after seeing it, it looks small enough that if you had to you could just unhook, turn the Jeep and then turn the trailer by hand.

Depending on the terrain I probably could although even empty it’s hard to control by hand on a grade. My driveways not all that steep but if I’m not careful it’ll take me for a ride Into the street before coming to a stop. I’ve got the Jeep winch and portable winch if I needed to move it in a difficult spot but that’ll be a miserable wasted hour to avoid if possible, lol. I was really torn deciding on a trailer, I wanted something I could drag most anywhere but they’re asking 10k for the spartan roof top tent variety and 30K to 50k for the cool ones and most of those are too heavy and WT? that’s crazy money. The little Aliner was cheep enough I can get my cash back or get rid of it quick with a tiny discount if I want.

1 minute ago, normmcq said:

Art, that is a nice looking little rig. I think it is just like the one that Fred Mason used for years and he took it many places. Upgrading to a heavy duty tire would be my first option for off road travel. If you are mostly going to Gold Basin, I would make contact with "One Legged Dave" and see about renting a spot at his place to store it between trips.

Good luck out there,    Norm

Thanks Norm, I made friends with “peg leg John“ I’ll definitely need to look up “One Legged Dave,” kind of a little concerning so many legs gone missing gotta be careful with this mining stuff don’t want to add any more new AKA’s to my list, “One Off Art” or something like that, lol.

I thought about buying Fred’s when he put it up for sale if I’d have Only known then what I know now, kicked myself after it was sold that was a nice lite weight trailer. New tires is a good idea not sure if I will switch them before the first trip, although I should they’ll be more flat resistant and I’ll gain an inch in clearance at least.

One of our metal detecting club member has a Aliner trailer and loves it. He has solar panels to keep his battery charged and has a generator if he needs to run his air conditioner. I think this type of setup is better than sleeping in a tent or in your vehicle.

I and my wife have stayed at the Meadview RV Park and jasong is right about meeting prospectors from all over the country. The rates seems reasonable too.

When we are out in boonies and not sure about theft will occur I have vinyl coated cables with padlocks that I run through the trailer wheels, axles and leaf springs, plus have a ball hitch lock. Also I setup a trail camera if someone is coming around while we are gone.

Good to see you getting out again. Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1