Jump to content

Boon Docking While Prospecting


Recommended Posts

You'll more than likely see three fingered Terry at Dave's

                                                               LOL  Norm

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 38 foot toy hauler I tow around, I have the same concerns about finding a place to turn around, with that setup, I would have no concerns. Nice and compact, can go a lot of places I can't. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

One of our metal detecting club member has a Aliner trailer and loves it. He has solar panels to keep his battery charged and has a generator if he needs to run his air conditioner. I think this type of setup is better than sleeping in a tent or in your vehicle.

I and my wife have stayed at the Meadview RV Park and jasong is right about meeting prospectors from all over the country. The rates seems reasonable too.

When we are out in boonies and not sure about theft will occur I have vinyl coated cables with padlocks that I run through the trailer wheels, axles and leaf springs, plus have a ball hitch lock. Also I setup a trail camera if someone is coming around while we are gone.

Good to see you getting out again. Good Luck!

When I bought this heavy duty padlock I also bought a heavy 15’ coated steel cable I am going to run through the wheels if I can find a chain same Hardness as the lock I’ll use both. I’ve also got a wedge diamond plate box for the tongue for the generator I picked up to run my a/c, microwave and charge batteries down the road a bit I may also pick up a couple flexible solar panels I’ll eternabond RV tape to the roof, the trail cameras a great idea at least I’ll see who I want to get my hands on or be ready for their return if they are scoping things out. 
 

thanks and I’ll see you someday out at the Meadview park, Clark

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSC said:

I have a 38 foot toy hauler I tow around, I have the same concerns about finding a place to turn around, with that setup, I would have no concerns. Nice and compact, can go a lot of places I can't. 

Good to know getting close to the hunting areas and staying somewhat comfortable we’re my main goals, I’m feeling like this might work like I wanted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Oz when prospecting we leave our 21’6” Traveller Tandem Caravan in the bush unattended and have an MT600 Plus au GPS Tracker, connected via an RF switch to a 1m mobile phone aerial on top of our Wingard TV aerial. At the time ( maybe 3 years ago) I though that as well as 3G, this unit had the most 4G frequencies available so maybe a bit of future proofing for Oz.

I just set the tracker up in the Geo Fence mode so if the Caravan moves more than 100 yards I get and SMS, thought about getting SMS message sent via the Tracker via a movement detector ( any movement outside the door of the van) but have not done anything about it.

I can switch the aerial to a Mobile phone/ Modem.. laptop/Tablet  or the Tracker when in the caravan. Depending upon the location ( and signal strength) the tracker still operates with the aerial flat above the van roof.

www.mictrack.com/downloads/user-manual/4g-gps-tracker/MT600_Plus_User_Manual_V1.0.pdf

I also have a wheel lock on each side of the van, one wheel only ( carried on the 2 spares on the back bumper)and of course the tow ball lock, as well as good insurance cover but which will not cover us for the additional gear, I have added to the van or the price increases that have happened to this model since our purchase, along with the Agreed Value Insurance of the Caravan diminishing over the years.

Up to 3 years ago we went bush with 2 couples with older vans, so if one was going to be stolen, it would probably be ours, mate we now go with has a more modern Traveller Caravan than ours.

Some in Oz use an old Smartphone with a good coverage sim card and if their 4x4/van goes missing just run the App "Find my Phone" on your phone, if in a good mobile phone signal area.

To me the Bush in Oz is quite safe, but there could be exceptions, don't know about the US ( a friend in Oz some years ago had his Landcruiser stolen while detecting, not happy, with his wife waiting in a Caravan Park for his return, Thankfully 5 days later, his vehicle turned up 500Kms away unharmed and out of diesel.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1515Art said:

good to know I should be ok on most of that grid of roads

My neighbor has the same setup as you because he often goes out into the middle of nowhere to hunt gold and silver.

He added a second set, but lighter set, of spring shocks to handle the off road camping.

Something to think about as he says it saved him a lot of trouble when one spring broke on him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a good jack for the trailer...  a scissors type may be fine for it but avoid the short bottles.  I use an aluminum floor jack HF sells combined with a flat base pad instead of the wheels it came with for my 19’ trailer and truck.

Get the yellow wedge-type levelers, they work really well.

A set of strong traction boards will also help as a bridge for the trailer if you are crossing a deep rut so it doesn’t buck so much while crossing it (but your light and low trailer should handle that OK).

A solar hot water rinse kit is nice to have at the end of the day.

For backup 12v power, make your own DIY 400Wh backup power bank battery for less than $100 (PM me if interested for a link to parts and info about the one I made - its offsite at another  website).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of great suggestions and helpful information and a few things I didn’t think of that could come in real handy.

11 hours ago, PeterInSa said:

In Oz when prospecting we leave our 21’6” Traveller Tandem Caravan in the bush unattended and have an MT600 Plus au GPS Tracker, connected via an RF switch to a 1m mobile phone aerial on top of our Wingard TV aerial. At the time ( maybe 3 years ago) I though that as well as 3G, this unit had the most 4G frequencies available so maybe a bit of future proofing for Oz.

I just set the tracker up in the Geo Fence mode so if the Caravan moves more than 100 yards I get and SMS, thought about getting SMS message sent via the Tracker via a movement detector ( any movement outside the door of the van) but have not done anything about it.

I can switch the aerial to a Mobile phone/ Modem.. laptop/Tablet  or the Tracker when in the caravan. Depending upon the location ( and signal strength) the tracker still operates with the aerial flat above the van roof.

www.mictrack.com/downloads/user-manual/4g-gps-tracker/MT600_Plus_User_Manual_V1.0.pdf

I also have a wheel lock on each side of the van, one wheel only ( carried on the 2 spares on the back bumper)and of course the tow ball lock, as well as good insurance cover but which will not cover us for the additional gear, I have added to the van or the price increases that have happened to this model since our purchase, along with the Agreed Value Insurance of the Caravan diminishing over the years.

Up to 3 years ago we went bush with 2 couples with older vans, so if one was going to be stolen, it would probably be ours, mate we now go with has a more modern Traveller Caravan than ours.

Some in Oz use an old Smartphone with a good coverage sim card and if their 4x4/van goes missing just run the App "Find my Phone" on your phone, if in a good mobile phone signal area.

To me the Bush in Oz is quite safe, but there could be exceptions, don't know about the US ( a friend in Oz some years ago had his Landcruiser stolen while detecting, not happy, with his wife waiting in a Caravan Park for his return, Thankfully 5 days later, his vehicle turned up 500Kms away unharmed and out of diesel.

 

well, that would pretty much suck Having your vehicle stolen and find yourself stuck in the outback I hope he wasn’t alone. Anytime I’m off on foot following my coil wandering from left to right, having the Jeep stolen is always on the back of my mind and it’s a good feeling walking up over a hill and seeing it parked where I left it. I forgot about using a tracker and geofencing as far as actually getting my stuff back that probably gives the best chance for success.

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

My neighbor has the same setup as you because he often goes out into the middle of nowhere to hunt gold and silver.

He added a second set, but lighter set, of spring shocks to handle the off road camping.

Something to think about as he says it saved him a lot of trouble when one spring broke on him.

I never thought about adding anything to the suspension, I peaked under it for a second and everything looked like it was where it was supposed to be thanks for the tip I’ll beef it up if I can and a little more lift will give me more tire clearance.

7 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Get a good jack for the trailer...  a scissors type may be fine for it but avoid the short bottles.  I use an aluminum floor jack HF sells combined with a flat base pad instead of the wheels it came with for my 19’ trailer and truck.

Get the yellow wedge-type levelers, they work really well.

A set of strong traction boards will also help as a bridge for the trailer if you are crossing a deep rut so it doesn’t buck so much while crossing it (but your light and low trailer should handle that OK).

A solar hot water rinse kit is nice to have at the end of the day.

For backup 12v power, make your own DIY 400Wh backup power bank battery for less than $100 (PM me if interested for a link to parts and info about the one I made - its offsite at another  website).

Yep, I can see where the traction boards would come in real handy, I’m used to plowing through anything with the Jeep probably how I bent an axle and if I’m not careful the Aliner will be in a thousand little pieces. Ive looked at a few camp showers on Amazon if I have any place left in my little trailer to store one I’ll get it after a long day picking trailer parts up off the trail I’m going to need it, lol. 
 

Did you build it with lithium for $100? That’d be a great price for 400wh battery pack, I’ll need to see how much room I have and see how many wh’s I can fit in the available space.

I got some good news from the drivetrain shop late yesterday my rear driveshaft u-joints were shot and I might have a bent axle. Normally not what you want to hear, but since dropping in the new engine a month ago I’ve been chasing demons, computer timing and fuel delivery, transmission pump, torque converter, misfire codes and overheating all the time crossing my fingers I don’t need to pull the new engine and ship it back east with a burnt valve or something, That’d be a major PITA. This SHOULD fix the last of the driving issues I’ve been seriously doubting my decision rebuilding the Jeep vs replacing it, Jeep... J(ust)  E(mpty) E(very) P(ocket).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Lots of great suggestions and helpful information and a few things I didn’t think of that could come in real handy.

well, that would pretty much suck Having your vehicle stolen and find yourself stuck in the outback I hope he wasn’t alone. Anytime I’m off on foot following my coil wandering from left to right, having the Jeep stolen is always on the back of my mind and it’s a good feeling walking up over a hill and seeing it parked where I left it. I forgot about using a tracker and geofencing as far as actually getting my stuff back that probably gives the best chance for success.

I never thought about adding anything to the suspension, I peaked under it for a second and everything looked like it was where it was supposed to be thanks for the tip I’ll beef it up if I can and a little more lift will give me more tire clearance.

Yep, I can see where the traction boards would come in real handy, I’m used to plowing through anything with the Jeep probably how I bent an axle and if I’m not careful the Aliner will be in a thousand little pieces. Ive looked at a few camp showers on Amazon if I have any place left in my little trailer to store one I’ll get it after a long day picking trailer parts up off the trail I’m going to need it, lol. 
 

Did you build it with lithium for $100? That’d be a great price for 400wh battery pack, I’ll need to see how much room I have and see how many wh’s I can fit in the available space.

I got some good news from the drivetrain shop late yesterday my rear driveshaft u-joints were shot and I might have a bent axle. Normally not what you want to hear, but since dropping in the new engine a month ago I’ve been chasing demons, computer timing and fuel delivery, transmission pump, torque converter, misfire codes and overheating all the time crossing my fingers I don’t need to pull the new engine and ship it back east with a burnt valve or something, That’d be a major PITA. This SHOULD fix the last of the driving issues I’ve been seriously doubting my decision rebuilding the Jeep vs replacing it, Jeep... J(ust)  E(mpty) E(very) P(ocket).

I used a mobility scooter 12v 35aH (420Wh)  deep cycle, they fit inside a HF plastic ammo box and I used the tray to make a accessory mount for a combination USB power and 12v cigarette plug receptacle panel. The top also has a handy storage bin for accessory plugs too.  The battery is charged by solar on my trailer, and Ive used the battery for my drywasher as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • Guest Jennifer
      By Guest Jennifer
      Hi all... I'm starting to make plans for Winter in the AZ gold fields, anyone on here own an RV park before I give my cash to a non nugget hunter. :o)
       
      Jen
    • By fredmason
      I went down toward Yuma las Tuesday, got setup by 3:40 and had my first/biggest 1.1 gram nuggie by 3:45...wandered all day Wed with high winds and got the littlest one 1.4 grains, then found the other two Thursday morning...my new trailer is very comfie for me and my wife...the detector is where the first nuggie was...



    • By tvanwho
      I was on my way to the central Indiana goldfields this weekend when I pulled off the Interstate highway at the  rest area and spotted this ? Kinda looks like a Unimog, but fitted up with a backhoe and dozer blade? Just what us prospectors might need....
       
      -Tom

    • By Norvic
      Upgraded from a Toyota Troop carrier(28yrs old) back in 2012 to a Hilux 4WD. Heading off this morn to new prospective area hit a bump not a jarring jolt going slowly in low range. Front strut busted limped home and removed photo below.
       

       
      Independent suspension, nice ride but not impressed but I do know I`m going back there, the Goddess of Gold is trying to keep me away.
       
    • By LuckyLundy
      Northern Nevada gravel roads will tell you when your trucks tires are getting to thin! My last trip there, I couldn't plug the thumb size hole and had to trust my old spare for the last couple of days of the hunt and to tow the camper back to NorCal. I also noticed my hunting boots were getting my socks awful dirty and a few little rocks would sneak in as well, as I would boot a possible target. Well we made it home and ready to make some new tracks in the goldfields. Hunt report, after that big storm in the Rye Patch area the ground was hot and stingy with letting go of the gold. But, no skunks in our party of 8...beer was cold at camp for soothing the looks of our pokes and Baby & I, have some new shoes! Until the next hunt,
      LuckyLundy

    • By aussiedigger
      The perfect Gold hunting combination. Minelab GPZ 7000 & 2002 Mercedes-Benz ML270 CDI 5 Cylinders Diesel Turbo Intercooled Luxury MY2002 Sports Automatic >grin<
      Picked up the 4x4 yesterday Roo bar Led light bar Solar and a sleep arrangement up top and I'm set.
      ad...

×
×
  • Create New...