Whites Mx Sport, Loose Battery Box, Am I The Only One?

I bought a Mx Sport about 2 years back. I have noticed that the battery box has become "loose" where it attaches to the frame. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem? and have you managed to fix it? I have bought a second MX that has stopped working with the aim of using its battery box as it seems nice and tight still. But been a bit worried about stripping my machine as i am

I am not sure how much damage i mite cause by taking it apart, and i have not found anything on the net yet on the topic.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank.

Hello EastCape,

I would recommend staying with the original MX-Sport,  Would be much easier tightening the loose battery box instead of switching boxes from the non-working model.

You’ll need a T10 and T15 TORX, now remove two T15 TORX screws as shown on the second picture. Then, carefully remove battery box.  

You'll see two battery springs, with two T10 TORX screws beside and a fastening bolt.  Remove these two T10 TORX screws, then remove fastening bolt. Carefully, remove plastic frame away from the fastening bolts threaded area.  Just enough to tighten the four T15 TORX screws underneath the plastic frame. 

These four T15 TORX screws are not accessible unless the plastic frame is removed.

Hope this helps,  good luck!

Paul

0167005F-4DDF-4C1F-B4EC-BC68727431BF.jpeg

242EC727-DB01-4661-B1FD-1CB7208D589D.jpeg

D4A4E5A0-B63C-44FF-84D1-65DD643B781F.jpeg

• Like 1

Once tightened would a thread locker help? Figure a drop on each bolt might prevent it from loosening up down the road.

• Like 2

My problem is that those plastic threaded mounts failed and cracked (probably as a result of getting jostled in the back of the truck during a cold weather snap that caused the plastic to become brittle), that was that.  Had to send it in for repair/replacement under warranty.  Recognizing the vulnerability, that was the last straw in string of mishaps with the Sport (having to also send it back to replace the buggy firmware, not knowing if the faceplate was susceptible to leakage, etc.) plus Equinox made it basically a dust collector/loaner unit, so I sold the unit as soon as I could after I got it back from Whites.

7 hours ago, EastCape Digger said:

thank you so much for the info! I will be doing this on the weekend. I will strip my spare one as practice first....... 

That’s a great idea,  practice with the non-working MX-Sport model before moving onto the good model. 

Keep us posted how everything works out,  Good luck!

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If the plastic posts are cracked or broken it is going to be more than just snugging screws. In that case hopefully parts from the dead unit can be used to replace any broken parts. But I’ll mention again.... Whites may cover this as a warranty repair.

this one i bought used about a 2 years back, it was nearly a year old then .... warranty would be a thing of the past. Also with Whites in a bit of  limbo i dont think i would want to take a chance sending it in for repairs. I have the tools and i know my way around a worksho, so i think it is worth trying to sort out myself. i did strip the box soon after i bought it, but did not go as far as taking the battery terminals off. That silver nut i suspect holds the main bracket of the battery box onto the frame. I am thinking i would have to completely remove it to remove the box. Which will mean disconnecting the battery terminals from their wires and possibly solder them back on, depending on how they are connected. One thing that is puzzling is the round orange O-ring /seal Whites uses?? its round and it fits onto and into a square? strange that....