First Impulse AQ Hunt

Good report, it appears you were near a machine shop.....lathe scraps? 

I'll be interested in hearing what threshold you end up with on a windy day, i too have the volume maxed out but with wind,  needed the thresbold near 6 to hear.

I've got tinnitus in both ears so am already hearing a constant threshold in my head....

Cliff

• Like 2

Thanks for the nice report and to hear your happy with the AQ. I’m sure the gold is close by. The news is good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdv said:

Good report, it appears you were near a machine shop.....lathe scraps? 

I'll be interested in hearing what threshold you end up with on a windy day, i too have the volume maxed out but with wind,  needed the thresbold near 6 to hear.

I've got tinnitus in both ears so am already hearing a constant threshold in my head....

Cliff

Neighbor does pier repair. I'm fairly confident that the chips dropped from his pontoon boat that is set up as a floating workshop. Nice thing about finding those is that they are aluminum and right in the range of conductivity I really want to find!

I've got tinnitus in one ear, so I resemble the constant threshold thing too! When I first got there, there was some breeze that gave a little bit of whistle around the headphones. I will have to look around to see what might be whistling. I've taped over drain holes on some headsets to stop the whistle. Have not looked close enough at this set yet.

• Like 2

O'Boy there goes the Bay Gold!! 👀

Good report TVR, good to see another "AQ" in the Bay. Up the rivers and coves water is nice and calm and I seen the same with the AQ..you can run it Hot!

That brass ring and bottle top is a great sign of the age of the area your hunting. We start to get those NW/N winds water will start to blow out some..

3 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

We start to get those NW/N winds water will start to blow out some..

Yes! Water was high and I went deep enough to get water over the top of the waders, but had to try it out in the area I had already beaten to death. Still a lot of learning to do.

Have a trip to Florida in just under two weeks and I don't think I will take the AQ because I don't want to have it travel in a suit case. I'll risk an Excal and either the Detector Pro underwater with the 12 inch coil or the Sand Shark for the suit case throw competition.

• Like 1

Looking good, thanks for adding your settings in your report. Good Luck in Florida.

HH

Mike

• Like 2

TVR this a machine with unique operating characteristics.  I fell into trying to run the juice way up and didn't find that it gave much of an advantage.  It did make for a more confounded and jumpy signal that was harder to interpret.  As well, where there was current or the "wrong" depth of water, the sound offs were harder to deal with.  I would suggest getting the hang of the AQ down at preset or even lower.  I would also suggest staying off the very low Delay settings--to better hear the pins and micros.  Listen to the "sides" of your responses--this is what will keep you off the rusted bits .  As with a lot of pulse machines--the "ears" will be easier to learn at low Gain levels. This is a rare example of a machine that does not need to be "turned up." 

Good Luck, clive

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 3:34 PM, tvr said:

Hunted mostly in tone mode. Set up reject with a small paper clip. Delay 7.5, Reject 6, ATS 7, Sensitivity 7, Threshold 4, Volume max.

I did not play much with ATS. I am in brackish water in a pretty well protected environment so the water was flat. Did have a boat go by and the AQ was not affected by the 6 inch or so wake that washed over with the detector fully submerged and coil on the bottom. The threshold did have a little bit of warble from the boat. Changing freq did not seem to help. When the guy shut the engine down at his dock, the little bit of warble went away. I'm thinking his ignition system is transmitting the noise.

I was surprised how quiet the AQ is in the water. I could run any delay. If sensitivity was higher than 7 there was some sounding on coil movement that was reduced when sweep was slowed to a crawl, but at 7 it was pretty quiet.

As for the sounding when the connector dips in and out of the water; it does, but not any where near as bad as I had imagined from watching and listening to a couple of the posted videos. Would I pay more for a stainless connector with a reduction in the effect? Sure, but after actually experiencing it, I am kind of ambivalent about it. It retunes quicker than I would need if I were in waves that were at the connector level, so if I have a little cut close to shore on an ocean trip, I could deal with a wave hit at the connector and hunt between waves. How much the higher salinity at the ocean would change how it acts? Not sure.

Coil does have a little float to it. Not bad, but would be nice to have it not float.

I gave up with back pain at almost exactly 3 hours of running the AQ; battery was still going.

The edge of the coil does help with pinpointing. I hit a few old pull tabs that were deep and took several scoops to dig out. Also got some small sinkers that were several scoopers.

Moving the scoop close to see a tone break is kind of tricky. There is a very narrow window between getting a target tone break and the scoop being a greatly overwhelming influence. It is going to take some practice and some more ear learning.

Overall, I'm very happy with the AQ so far. Most of the targets are right in the range I'm looking for. Even got one small ring, although it is a junk eaten up copper one.

AQ_hunt1.jpg

My AQ at these settings would not even start to break up or iron grunt on a small paper clip. At 7 ATS and 6 reject the small paper clip and test nail would ping as a non ferrous low conductor, at any kHz. I must be at 8 1/2 ATS and 3 1/2 reject for the deepest in tone mode to get a break up to grunt on the test nail. The clip needs to be at 9 ATS to start breaking up and or grunt. 3 1/2 reject for the deepest. My sensitivity can be anywhere on the scale  with chatter starting at 6 but I generally run at pre set 4 to 5. I guess the detectors are all different somewhat or the knob placement or pots are not exactly the same on the face plate? Anybody have any ideas or have checked theirs?

• Thanks 1