First Impulse AQ Hunt

7 hours ago, cjc said:

TVR this a machine with unique operating characteristics.  I fell into trying to run the juice way up and didn't find that it gave much of an advantage.  It did make for a more confounded and jumpy signal that was harder to interpret.  As well, where there was current or the "wrong" depth of water, the sound offs were harder to deal with.  I would suggest getting the hang of the AQ down at preset or even lower.  I would also suggest staying off the very low Delay settings--to better hear the pins and micros.  Listen to the "sides" of your responses--this is what will keep you off the rusted bits .  As with a lot of pulse machines--the "ears" will be easier to learn at low Gain levels. This is a rare example of a machine that does not need to be "turned up." 

Good Luck, clive

Thank you much Clive. Sounds were interesting to say the least.

About a month ago I picked up a copy of "Finding Gold at the Shore with a Pulse Induction Metal Detector". I've got a good bit more information now on settings to try out!

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

My AQ at these settings would not even start to break up or iron grunt on a small paper clip. At 7 ATS and 6 reject the small paper clip and test nail would ping as a non ferrous low conductor, at any kHz. I must be at 8 1/2 ATS and 3 1/2 reject for the deepest in tone mode to get a break up to grunt on the test nail. The clip needs to be at 9 ATS to start breaking up and or grunt. 3 1/2 reject for the deepest. My sensitivity can be anywhere on the scale  with chatter starting at 6 but I generally run at pre set 4 to 5. I guess the detectors are all different somewhat or the knob placement or pots are not exactly the same on the face plate? Anybody have any ideas or have checked theirs?

I had a very small rusty clip that I pulled from a bag found hunting all metal with the Excal. Unfortunately I pitched it last night when I pitched the bottle caps so I don't have it for a picture or to compare. I set it on wet sand in mute mode to where the clip mostly went away, but not completely, then flipped to tone mode to hunt. Did not do much more setting checking than that. I'll get the standard test piece that came with the detector and do some tests in the yard. Thanks for the setting info. Lots to learn for me.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, tvr said:

Thank you much Clive. Sounds were interesting to say the least.

About a month ago I picked up a copy of "Finding Gold at the Shore with a Pulse Induction Metal Detector". I've got a good bit more information now on settings to try out!

Ya with a pulse with this much juice--you need to have your basics down--I sure do!  Its kind of like what I see with the sensitivity of the Equinox--everyone wants to run first and they pay a huge price in frustration.  That book will teach you a lot of what you need to know.  cjc

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, cjc said:

TVR this a machine with unique operating characteristics.  I fell into trying to run the juice way up and didn't find that it gave much of an advantage.  It did make for a more confounded and jumpy signal that was harder to interpret.  As well, where there was current or the "wrong" depth of water, the sound offs were harder to deal with.  I would suggest getting the hang of the AQ down at preset or even lower.  I would also suggest staying off the very low Delay settings--to better hear the pins and micros.  Listen to the "sides" of your responses--this is what will keep you off the rusted bits .  As with a lot of pulse machines--the "ears" will be easier to learn at low Gain levels. This is a rare example of a machine that does not need to be "turned up." 

Good Luck, clive

I would add to that --try working in Mute mode to get the hang of the target sounds with no extraneous sounds.  Maybe not as deep but a lot easier to tune and hear.  I got a 3.7gr. 22k ring at 18" + in Mute--very clean, narrow and distinct signal.  

cjc

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, cjc said:

I would add to that --try working in Mute mode to get the hang of the target sounds with no extraneous sounds.  Maybe not as deep but a lot easier to tune and hear.  I got a 3.7gr. 22k ring at 18" + in Mute--very clean, narrow and distinct signal.  

cjc

Only mute mode I've run is to set up a reject then switch to tone. Is the advantage in mute that the good targets give a narrower signal or are there other clues to listen too?

In any of the modes you are listening for narrow responses with clean "sides".  Just easier to hear in mute. cjc

• Thanks 1