Apex Updateable?

I think this is what people are recalling.  It can be done - no plans to regularly do so.  Probably not that far out of line with Nokta, XP, and ML if you think about it.  But unlike those companies, Garrett is not choosing to market or hype it as a spec "feature" like those companies do, for whatever reason.

44 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I bet you it is. It would be silly not to be.   Easy way to find out, does it have a USB cable for charging that plugs into your computer? If so, plug it in, does the computer find new hardware when it does? It if does.... it's going to be able to be updated, there is no other reason it'd have an internal interface with the computer.  If they never intended USB updating the supplied cable would only have the wires in it for charging, not the data wires, the same thing you see with some phone charging cables.

Another way to tell is look for the USB data cable logo on the end of the it's cord.

859471210_usblogo.png.2e940482ce078d4d2b84263228fb2453.png

I knew the Vanquish could take updates for this very reason when people were saying it couldn't...  

Yep, we established that Steve Moore actually said that it could be updated.  See above.

Re: Vanquish -  Correct me if I am wrong, Simon, but as I recall, all people were saying is that ML (at the time) was not advertising the update feature capability like they did explicitly with the Equinox which was stange once the USB port was discovered in the battery compartment.  Technically knowledgeable people were not saying it couldn't be updated, it just wasn't apparent that ML was going to choose to take advantage of the capability until they confirmed it by delivering that first firmware update to add the iron volume feature.  Up to that point ML was mum on the subject.  It was definitely a positive that ML demonstrated that they were willing to invest in firmware updates for the Vanquish series.

Hope Garrett follows in their footsteps.

On 9/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I think this is what people are recalling.  It can be done - no plans to regularly do so.

I was recalling that also... the part where it says it is update-able. Then after I posted that, people kept mentioning the Apex can’t be updated. Seems like that must have been coming from someplace else, which is why I asked.

Whether there are plans to do that yet.... well, no, of course not, unless a need arises. People seem to expect this capability is there to give them more features later at no extra charge. The reality is it’s there as a just in case bug fix capability, and that is all. No bugs, no updates, so no reason to advertise it as a “feature” per se. Though I think having such a feature does provide a level of comfort, and not informing the customer of this safety net up front is a mistake in my opinion. Any detector that includes a USB port for charging is likely to include an update feature, advertised or not.

garrett-ace-apex-controls-herschbach.jpg

• Like 1

Part of the confusion is that we are talking two separate podcast interviews.  He was basically silent on the topic on the RR podcast but addressed it on the AD podcast as mentioned above.  Like I said, his statement is not inconsistent with how everyone else approaches updates on detectors.  There are no set schedules for releases (though ML has settled into a late summer release routine it seems for Equinox).  These are basically announced the day they suddenly appear on the site.  The lone exception was XP who advertised new hardware and accompanying V 4 Deus software as imminent and then it didn't show up for nearly a year and a half.  Then they botched the rollout by posting a corrupted/non-final version of the executable for download - doh.  They never made that mistake again...

ML was also mum on the capability for Vanquish, but as Simon points out we knew it was updateable as soon as the usb port was discovered in the battery compartment (Vanquish also doesn't advertise USB battery charging capability, either).  So we never knew if ML was going to issue an update for Vanquish until they dropped the Iron Volume 1.1 update.

• Like 1

That is very good news for early Apex purchases as I assume there may be bug fixes or tweaks down the road as the machine is widely used in the wild. The AT Pro can only be updated by the factory which is too bad because the latest firmware is a substantial improvement over older models.

• Like 2