Just Got My MDT In The Post

Rivers rat

Good luck with it RR, 

I'm keeping my eye on it's use on the beach and saltwater, by our forum member's! Price is the only hindrance for now! As compaired to a Nox! I hope it does a better job of staying dry, and problem free!👍👍

5 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Good luck with it RR, 

I'm keeping my eye on it's use on the beach and saltwater, by our forum member's! Price is the only hindrance for now! As compaired to a Nox! I hope it does a better job of staying dry, and problem free!👍👍

Bought it used at a good price!

RR

• Like 4

Regis,well done on the new machine mate,will look forward to seeing some feedback on how it performs as you do both beach and mudlarking,the coil would be potentially to large for larking i would have thought ?? keep us updated on how you get on with it.

I think you are still away from Londinium at the moment till the weekend ??

It is more pricy than the Nox....... but most water machines are.  Take the Xcal, they upgrade the shaft, the knobs, knob protector, and to get the best out of it better headphones and a PP switch which if done by ML is hard wired.   1 year warranty as well.   Thats pricy.   But ... in the water IMO the Xcal is quieter and all things become equal sensitivity and depth wise.  Heres where the MDT can have an advantage with its Salt Balance it can be run much like the Xcal and i feel its a little quieter in AM.  The SB will allow you to get about the same depth in the salt water as wet sand..... not so with the Nox.   I dont really consider price because most of us water hunters pay our machines off quickly.   There is that difference in warranty.   It moves a little less efficent in the water not because of the coil (which has real good buoyancy) but more that the shaft is a bit thicker.  You have multi freq with the Nox..... here you have at least 3 single freqs that can be used in the water with 9 and 6.5 being the more efficient.  Thus far ive not heard of a lot of flooding with this machine even with its IP rating.   Out of the water the Nox has an advantage with its other settings/modes.   Really fun machine to play with ..... look forward to how you do with it.

• Like 2

Sounds like you've done your homework Dew! Do you use one also? 👍👍

44 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

It is more pricy than the Nox....... but most water machines are.

Dew this chart by Steve somewhat refutes that statement.  You can also now add Simplex to that list which skews it even further towards the less expensive side.  Of the 4 non-PI machines that come in higher priced than Nox, 2 are Dive Rated to 200+ feet submergence (including the Excal, of course).  One is the now overpriced (from a features perspective) CTX which like the Nox is rated only to 10 feet.  The remaining one is the MDT which is IP 68 rated (1.5M for 30 minutes) meaning it is basically designed to take an accidental dunking and survive.  Frankly, I think the MDT is the more realistic rating that should also be applied to most of the 10 ft/3 meter depth rated machines, especially Nox, based on it's recent anecdotal water usage track record.

MDT's price tag appears to  primarily be a function of the fact it is coming from a small scale production outfit rather than it's features, environmental qualifications (watertightness) or build.  That being said, I really do like build quality and it does have some unique features.  I am still learning mine so I can't go live with an informed opinion of performance, just yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

It is more pricy than the Nox....... but most water machines are.  Take the Xcal, they upgrade the shaft, the knobs, knob protector, and to get the best out of it better headphones and a PP switch which if done by ML is hard wired.   1 year warranty as well.   Thats pricy.   But ... in the water IMO the Xcal is quieter and all things become equal sensitivity and depth wise.  Heres where the MDT can have an advantage with its Salt Balance it can be run much like the Xcal and i feel its a little quieter in AM.  The SB will allow you to get about the same depth in the salt water as wet sand..... not so with the Nox.   I dont really consider price because most of us water hunters pay our machines off quickly.   There is that difference in warranty.   It moves a little less efficent in the water not because of the coil (which has real good buoyancy) but more that the shaft is a bit thicker.  You have multi freq with the Nox..... here you have at least 3 single freqs that can be used in the water with 9 and 6.5 being the more efficient.  Thus far ive not heard of a lot of flooding with this machine even with its IP rating.   Out of the water the Nox has an advantage with its other settings/modes.   Really fun machine to play with ..... look forward to how you do with it.

Mine has four frequencies 6.4 kHz 9 kHz 12 kHz and 18kHz.

• Like 4