DeLorme InReach Satellite Text Communicator

Thanks to Dick Hammond for pointing this out. It is a reasonably inexpensive and effective alternative to the satellite phone. I have an Iridium phone I have used for years. It is the best insurance policy you can purchase for remote operations. But the phones are expensive, and the plans more so. Phones are around $800 now, but you can get used ones for about half that. It is the plans that add up. In Alaska we are lucky because a 6 month plan can be had for half what it costs for global minutes.

Information on DeLorme InReach
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

Cost for Iridium Sat Phone Plans
http://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/iridium-airtime.html

I may sell my Sat phone and get the InReach and have money left over. May be a better option for me now. Buy an InReach Communicator here.

post-1-0-01370800-1387385599_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-63308000-1441897488_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When DeLorme first came out with the Spot I took one on both of my trips to Brazil. It was a great way to stay connected with friends and family at home. I sent one daily message in the evening to let people know I was OK and having fun. I sent additional messages during the day from each location I found a nugget. It pinpointed my location with amazing accuracy.

Their technology with this system has really blossomed. The InReach is affordable and I am sure every bit as reliable a the Spot was. I am sold on their GPS's too....ll.

SPOT is owned by Globalstar and operates on their satellite network. It is a very popular and inexpensive device. I believe they are one way communications only - you can only send messages but not receive. inReach is on the Iridium network, which has better coverage, but the main thing is the Delorme device offers two way texting.

I found a good review/comparison here http://www.wildsnow.com/8245/spot-inreach-satphone-review-delorme/

For what it is worth I had zero luck with the Globalstar network in Alaska. I tried one of their phones and never got a signal at Moore Creek, so went with Iridium and have never regretted it. I hear Globalstar is rebuilding their network though so maybe it is better now.

I never knew that, thanks. The Spot would only send out one predetermined short message that you had to configure prior to your trip. Very simple.

• 8 months later...

Well, looks like I will sell my sat phone and get the inReach. They changed their service plan so you can shut off and reactivate service with no penalty, which is much better for me than the prior annual plans. Details on the new service plans are at http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/

I will let you all know what I think when I get one and give it a go.

If you don't feel the need for communication with loved ones and only want an emergency beacon for rescuers to find you a 406 EPIRB is a good bet. Cost +- $250 and NO subscription fee. This is a good one- ACR PLB-375 ResQ Link Personal Locating Beacon . Better reception than the "Spot" in deep canyons or under trees.

I have carried a 406 EPIRB for the last four years.  Rescuers will receive the signal and they will come get you. Your life is worth the price of a small coil.

Merton

• Like 1

I carry a SPOT. The tracking is pretty accurate. I think over the last 5 years or so, I've only had a couple places where I briefly lost a signal. I'm looking at getting an aircraft radio as a back up just in case. There's usually a commercial, military, or private aircraft flying over the majority of the places I prospect, so I figure if things went sideways, I could always have a pilot relay a message for me.

• 2 months later...