Kac,

Yes, i won't use a coil without a coil cover!Β Too easy to damage it otherwise, IMO!πŸ‘πŸ‘

43 minutes ago, phrunt said:

even at that price they can't sell them so imagine how hard it is for them to sell Gold Bug Pro's at the moment, near impossible I'd say.

Well, you be amazed at how some old guys would not be seen with a pink detector. Some folks would not use it is you gave it to them, just over something silly like that.

I have an admission also. Much as I like the FT 19 kHz models, the fact is compared to 21st century detectors they are an odd duck. Both digital and analog controls, and a unique/somewhat convoluted control menu. Adding too many controls to a detector meant to have few controls meant some oddball design decisions. The 19 kHz frequency kills on lower conductors, but is merely very good on silver. And the VCO audio is a real love or hate it sort of thing. Finally, a lot of people only ever used it with the 7" x 11" coil, and that's not the best coil for the machine if you are in dense targets.

I like the machine because of its oddball features, like VCO audio. However, I can surely understand how for a lot of people, especially new people to the hobby, are not impressed but the lack of tone options, lack of multiple notch capability, etc. As much as I like the machine, I'd in general not think much about it anymore if it was still overpriced. But at $299 - $399 it's a good buy for those who like VCO, low conductors, and a solid performing true threshold based all metal mode.

Just tossing that out there for any newbies reading all this and wondering what the fuss is about.

• Like 1

Β  Β I'm with ya on that Simon!!Β 

Β  Β  Β Does that kind of thinking sound familiar?! They are obviously not paying attention to the market's winner's and loser's! Baffles the mind! I'm no marketing expert, but i think this ship is sinking!πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β 

Β  Β  Only the stock coil is pink now, when i don't have one of the others on! And it doesn't bother me at all! I actually like it! It's a decent coil!

Β  Β  I agree with Steve, in that if it wasn't aΒ $299 deal, i wouldn't have bought it! IΒ would have just gotΒ a Simplex, or Vanquish instead! Both of which i also like! What amazes me it the premium price all the other G2+'s are listed for! Crazy! And what he said about how they market stuff is also odd to me!

Β  Β  Β It really sucks about availability and pricing in NZ! I wish it was delt with better!πŸ‘πŸ‘

What got me hooked on the 19khz machines was (Dirtfishing)Β utube videos,Β Hunting theΒ trashy parks with theΒ Β G2 .....not the (plus)Β was not out yet.Β 

all the TID’sΒ wereΒ spot on .....he dug some 9+ inch silver coins that came out of the hole with a rusty bolt. So the G2 can find deep silver.

I’mΒ just a jewelry hunter hitting all the active sports fields after workΒ 

I noticed with The G2+ using smaller coils came the depth lost,Β compared to the 11 inch biaxle coil.....unlike the F75.

will have to try the Ultimate coil on it someday.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

The 19 kHz models are exceptionally resistant to electrical interference, and I think this is one of the things that gives it such stable target numbers in urban areas. A lot of new detectors seem to struggle with EMI, and a 19 kHz unit can be a secret weapon. Detectors that might normally outperform these models can really fall on their face in some locations due to all the interference.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The 19 kHz models are exceptionally resistant to electrical interference, and I think this is one of the things that gives it such stable target numbers in urban areas. A lot of new detectors seem to struggle with EMI, and a 19 kHz unit can be a secret weapon. Detectors that might normally outperform these models can really fall on their face in some locations due to all the interference.

Too true - when the Explorer SE Pro and G2 were my main two detectors, certain parks I used to hunt had powerΒ transformers that causedΒ all sorts of interference issues with the Explorer.Β  Back to the car and out came the G2 - dead quiet in the same location.Β 

The only issue I had with the G2 was on outright depth in discrimination mode.Β  It was my partner's main detector due to the simplicity of operation and lack of weight, though found myself constantly rechecking her marginal targets with the more capable Deus to confirm on whether to dig or not.Β  Ended up swapping out the stock coil for a NEL Hunter as a compromise between target separation and with a little extra depth.Β  The 13" Ultimate coil never got much of a run due to the types of sites I detect, with very restricted room to move for that sizeΒ coil.Β 

• Like 3

Simon,

Is that a mod, or does it have to be done at production?

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

All they needed to do was change ground phase to target ID and I'd hunt exclusively in all metal on my Bug.Β  An easy fix but one they're ignorant to.

Are you sure it's that simple?Β  I realize that in All Metal the 'speedometer' pseudo-analog dial across the top indicates a numeric TID, but is that necessarily the same circuit that is used in Discriminate mode to produce the digital readout?Β  In my (admittedly limited) observations, when in Discriminate mode the two readouts don't always agree.Β  (This might have something to do with speed of reporting, though.Β  I.e. does the speedometer number get pulled first, before it's as accurate?)

The F75 (and T2?) actually show a digital TID when in motion All Metal, so Fisher had the ability to do that at the time of the Gold Bug release.Β  But we're used to detector companies saving their best features for their most expensive detectors....Β  Whether that is intentionally limiting a built in capability (ala Vanquish?), though, or some other limitation (slower processor, etc.) doesn't seem like something that can be known without insider information.

• Like 1