Hello all,

I wish i had some find's to post from today's beach hunt! But unfortunately, i only came away with a penny, a few junk items, and some beautiful beach pictures! If there was anything to find, than they deftly avoided my coil swings!    I had the 13" Ultimate coil on the G2+, and worked about two miles of beach! Even when the beaches are sanded in the way they are right know, i should have done better!  I kept testing the detector, to make sure it was working! You all know how it is; when it's not picking up anything, you second guess it's operation!! Oh well, were supposedly getting some bigger waves over the weekend! I guess I'll hit some parks and vacant lots, until conditions improve!

And yes, i know many of you would like to be in those beach chair's, like the couple in the picture! Come on down, show your significant other this picture to get them here! Than leave them in that chair, while you detect! I bet it will be a "cold" flight home!!🥶     🀣👍👍

20201013_215805.jpg

20201013_215949.jpg

20201013_220020.jpg

20201013_220004.jpg

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

What kind of depth are you getting with the G2?  Have you done any tests?

Are you sticking mainly to the dry sand?

• Like 1

Hey Badger,

I have not done any depth testing yet! I've just been using it exclusively to get acclimated to the sounds and setup! Which so far, have been pretty intuitive! I've been using it in dry and wet, and to some extent, over very shallow water! Beyond that, it tends to overload! Not a surprise, since it's not a water detector! As long as you keep the coil above the sand or water, it runs fairly quiet! And the signals are very distinct, especially for iron!

I'm in the process of creating an extensive set of testing poker chips to use on any detector! I have an old, limited set i got from Whites, and just wanted to expand on it! Than i will play with the depth tests on my three coils! Gotta get some cool weather first, as it's been to brutal for testing! I'll only sweat my a$$ off for actual hunting!!😂

**Far from the complete set, but here's what the junk targets look like so far! I'm going to drill a hole in each when done, so i can put them on a string, to test them at depth! And make retrieval easier! (Not an original idea; I've just expanded upon those I've learned from on the forum)!!👍👍

20201014_103219.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Badger,

I have not done any depth testing yet! I've just been using it exclusively to get acclimated to the sounds and setup! Which so far, have been pretty intuitive! I've been using it in dry and wet, and to some extent, over very shallow water! Beyond that, it tends to overload! Not a surprise, since it's not a water detector! As long as you keep the coil above the sand or water, it runs fairly quiet! And the signals are very distinct, especially for iron!

I'm in the process of creating an extensive set of testing poker chips to use on any detector! I have an old, limited set i got from Whites, and just wanted to expand on it! Than i will play with the depth tests on my three coils! Gotta get some cool weather first, as it's been to brutal for testing! I'll only sweat my a$$ off for actual hunting!!😂👍👍

**Far from the complete set, but here's what the junk targets look like so far!!

What is the purpose behind the poker chips? I'm not familiar with that type of depth testing. Why test junk targets? Do you not dig non-ferrous junk?

The G2+ was designed to hunt gold nuggets and relics near iron. That's why I'm asking about the depth on the beach. It's not a beach detector. I would guess that the salt in the sand would severely limit depth with that machine compared to multi frequency detectors.

• Like 1

The G2+(Pinky$299) is no Equinox($899), but it works great at the beach! The poker chips are just a way to secure various targets to a solid, non-conductive base! And can be color coded to your liking! I adopted the chip idea, when using the Nox, because it can give you information overload! They help your "muscle memory" learning, and interpreting the signals it; or any detector, gives you! I can combine any number of chips to identify, or partially mask a desired target as i see fit! In any soil condition's I'm working in! Hope that makes it clearer!!👍👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

The G2+(Pinky$299) is no Equinox($899), but it works great at the beach! The poker chips are just a way to secure various targets to a solid, non-conductive base! And can be color coded to your liking! I adopted the chip idea, when using the Nox, because it can give you information overload! They help your "muscle memory" learning, and interpreting the signals it; or any detector, gives you! I can combine any number of chips to identify, or partially mask a desired target as i see fit! In any soil condition's I'm working in! Hope that makes it clearer!!👍👍

I just dig any target that might be non-ferrous. The only thing I avoid digging is iron.

I don't need to know the subtle differences between various non-ferrous targets because they could still be gold or silver no matter what they sound like.

Depth and the ability to identify iron is all that matters to me.

Badger,

Much depends on what you are looking for! Sometimes the trash and ferrous targets will tell you much about what you are look for, and in which direction to continue!

There are many examples, but a few that come to mind are relic hunting, and fleet treasure hunting! If you can picture a ship breaking up on a reef, or a battalion of soldiers fighting or retreating in a battle, and the potential trail of objects that is left behind! Then you begin to understand how the "junk" targets fit into the picture!👍👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Badger,

Much depends on what you are looking for! Sometimes the trash and ferrous targets will tell you much about what you are look for, and in which direction to continue!

There are many examples, but a few that come to mind are relic hunting, and fleet treasure hunting! If you can picture a ship breaking up on a reef, or a battalion of soldiers fighting or retreating in a battle, and the potential trail of objects that is left behind! Then you begin to understand how the "junk" targets fit into the picture!👍👍

Sorry but that makes no sense at all to me.

24 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The 19KHz Fishers are actually quite good on the beach.  In their own marketing they've always said they ground balance right to salt.

I've run my Bug reasonably successfully on a black sand beach where my Nox also struggled.  I was surprised how well it ran as my T2 was unusable and also on the coral sand benign beaches it's got some good depth.

Sure you need to ground grab often as you move down the beach towards the water but they do handle it and for me it worked quite well on the wet sand and in the shallow water too.

To get the true depth on them you really need to run in all metal, disc mode hinders depth a bit.  That's why a lot of people find a flaw with the target IDs being on the speedometer at the top rather than where the big ground phase readout is when in all metal mode.  It's not as detailed/accurate on the speedometer as getting actual numbers and harder to see, especially in the sun.   Hunting in all metal would be much easier with the big Target ID's.  A wasted opportunity for an easy good improvement.  They seem to identify iron well from what I've seen and have a good iron audio.

I had a Gold Bug Pro with the Fisher 11" coil that did pretty good on the dry sand as long as the rain had washed most of the salt out of it. The depth performance diminished though as wet salt was introduced. Yes, it behaved well enough on the wet sand but the depth was terrible. If that's your only detector then that's fine I guess. I see people at the beach all the time with low performance machines. That's why I inquired about the depth that Joe was getting.  Maybe the G2+ performs better than my GBP did.