Hi From Jersey, Channel Islands

Steve Andrews

Hi, I have found DetectorProspector to have some very knowledgeable members and there is great information on the site, so I thought it was time that I registered.

I live on a British island which is 14 miles from the French coast and we have a rich history. 

I mainly detect the beach for military relics from the British wars with France and the island's German occupation during World War 2.

Though I never target jewellery, I very much enjoy undertaking recoveries on a voluntary basis and have reunited a dozen people with lost rings since I started detecting a couple of years ago.

I use an XP Deus in the fields and a Minelab Equinox 600 with 15in coil on the beach.

I look forward to contributing. Thank you.

• Like 7

Steve,welcome onboard,your a lucky guy living on Jersey one of my favourite places and visited it many times,have you every met 'Reg Mead and Richard Miles' who found the famous the world famous 'Grouville Hoard' Grouville Hoard The Grouville Hoard is a hoard of an estimated 70,000 late Iron Age and Roman coins reported in June 2012

Are you able to detect for WW2 artifacts on Jersey as its 'frowned' upon in France especially on beaches etc,but great thing you do about re-uniting lost jewellery.

Look forward to reading your posts.

• Like 1

Welcome Steve, I would love to see some of those war finds. Glad you joined!!

• Like 2

Hi Rick, thank you. Yes, I know Reg and Richard as I'm a member of the same detecting club as them. The hoard was found before I started detecting, but I saw it being craned out of the field while I was out on a run. Neil Mahrer from Jersey Heritage, who has been taking the hoard apart, lives a few doors down from me.

We are free to detect the beaches and although there is still quite a lot of live ordnance on them it was fired in training and defensive preparations.

There was no direct fighting here so there isn't the concern of disturbing a battlefield.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steve Andrews said:

Hi Rick, thank you. Yes, I know Reg and Richard as I'm a member of the same detecting club as them. The hoard was found before I started detecting, but I saw it being craned out of the field while I was out on a run. Neil Mahrer from Jersey Heritage, who has been taking the hoard apart, lives a few doors down from me.

We are free to detect the beaches and although there is still quite a lot of live ordnance on them it was fired in training and defensive preparations.

There was no direct fighting here so there isn't the concern of disturbing a battlefield.

Steve,i think i am right in saying they found the hoard initially with normal detectors but finally nailed it with a twin box detector,i could be wrong on that but pretty certain they mentioned it in a video that it was finally located with a twin box.

But some tremendous homework on both those folks,if someone in that case a farmer found some scattered coins in a tight radius 30 years ago its a good indication that something else could be in the area and of course they had that hunch and was rewarded for it.

Welcome, Steve!  I look forward to your participation.  You're adding to this site's rich diversity of detecting grounds.

• Like 1

Welcome Steve I am sure we could learn a few things form you, Good luck and happy hunting.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, SeabeeRon said:

WELCOME!!  You live in a place I have always been interested in and would love to visit some day!

Hey SeabeeRon -

I'm Glad that you like my Seabee logo. I designed it a couple of years ago. I took a chance and had 50 stickers made up. I posted on a Seabee Facebook page to see if there was an interest. I was overwhelmed. I sold 600+ in 2 months. I then donated my graphics to the U.S. Navy and the Seabee Museum Store. The store had challenge coins, mugs and shirts made up. I am humbled by its success.

My Challenge coin.jpg

• Like 2

Steve, that all makes for an interesting local. I know your island blends some of the best pipe tobacco in the world at J. F. Germain. Welcome from Texas.