What Gives A 1 Target ID Number?

TripleT

I was river hunting yesterday and came across a solid +1 in 4.5 ft of water.  After spending half an hour digging down approx 2ft. into the gravel bar, the signal broke into 2 centers.

I finally gave up because of depth of water and size of hole.

Anyone else have an idea as to what is down there... the site is about 1/2 mile down stream from a bridge, and the river has been close to flood level all summer.

What frequency were you operating?  What search mode?  Sensitivity/Gain?  Iron Bias?  Recovery Speed?

• The title was changed to What Gives A 1 Target ID Number?

Coke ( part-burnt coal ) will give a '1' in multifreq, but only a weak response, so shallow detection only.
Stainless steel is also a potential '1' target, but it would still need to be small. So cutlery items would not read that low, and ring-shaped items like finger-rings, washers and nuts would also tend to read higher.

I suggest re-scanning in a single-freq mode, to see if it responds differently.

Thanks Steve,

I've never had a signal like that before, I guess curiosity got the better of me... I was hoping a gold bar, or two!

50 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A target id of 1 normally indicates a very small low conductor, like a bit of aluminum foil, or a tiny gold nugget. Such targets are normally detected at a few inches tops. At two feet depth it’s some kind of false signal.

Ground can play tricks, particularly wet ground.  If there is salt present, that adds doubly to the issue.  But I would think Beach mode is made to deal with this (I never use Beach myself so can't speak from experience).  You didn't mention a single frequency so I assume you are in Simultaneous Multifrequency which also should be less susceptible to ground falsing.

Finally, although the Equinox is somewhat immune to digital TID averaging (adding a high conductor signal and a low conductor signal and displaying something in between), that can happen.  The fact that you got down 2 ft(!) and still weren't seeing a different TID pretty much eliminates that possibility, IMO.

Wire can also give low ID values. Target corner frequency for long thin things like wire, is almost entirely determined by the diameter. Making the sample longer just increases the target response strength ( in proportion to the length ), the corner-freq and ID remain unchanged. So one realistic target that could be ID=1 but detectable at depth is a reel of wire. For example stainless steel wire for fencing. Provided there's no contact, creating a closed loop.