13 Khz F75 Concentric Coils On 19 Khz Series Detectors

Yeah, fake detectors people are at least kind of aware of and look out for. Now we have counterfeit coils, and there are few things that give them away, like the crooked sticker in the picture. Anything priced too good to be true..........

Part of the problem with counterfeit is not just the lost sale, but people unknowingly getting junk, and the real manufacturer getting blamed for making the junk.

• Like 2

The coil showed up today, and it is the new style coil (see below). The good news is it works just fine on my TRP at full sensitivity in air tests at least, and with accurate target id. Though this was a quickie air test, nothing more. I'll do real life stuff later.

The bad news is the coil, if I had to make the call right now, is ever so slightly less sensitive to my 0.10 grain test nugget than the NEL Snake. They are very close, but I thought maybe the concentric would have an edge in air tests at least. I suppose since it was not made specifically for the machine it is a very good result. It does show a coil can be made that works well on a 13 kHz machine and a 19 kHz machine, and it may be NEL and Detech do just that. Before you scoff, remember that Garrett uses the same coils on the AT Pro (15 kHz), AT Gold (18 kHz), and AT Max (13.6 kHz). So same coils go from 13.6 kHz to 18 kHz... not too different than what we are discussing here.

Why did I do this? Frankly, just a whim based on a good coil price, plus a 30 year old original 19 kHz Gold Bug headed my way any minute, and a desire to test old 19 kHz against new 19 kHz with a reasonably even playing field.

fisher-f70-f75-concentric-elliptical-search-coil.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

If I recall correctly, this coil is also compatible with the Gold Bug 2 at 71 khz.  I have one of these (for the F75, it's the old style) and can't wait to try it out on Pinky when it gets here...

There are only three coils for the 71 kHz Gold Bug 2, and they work on nothing else. I can’t imagine one of these running on a Gold Bug 2, but must honestly say I’ve never seen it tried and don’t know.

Yep.  You're right, Steve..  They have similar model #'s per the FT cross compatibility table but are not cross compatible and what I was recalling was that they share the same coil cover because the have identical form factors and it was listed as F70/F75/GB2 compatible when I bought it 4 1/2 years ago.  Foggy memory.  Doh!  :smile:

• Like 1