8 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I know this is not going to help...For I use All Metal only when I hunt.....Every beach is so different on it's habits it's really hard to predict what you may encounter...

And I know the frustration of digging a deep target for 10 minutes only to find it is trash.

I have a spot that is loaded with that stuff...but I have reconned the area very well with the excalibur and made a map in my mind on where to hunt and where not to. Also I marked several of the solid nulls by digging two scoops, there won't be a hole there but the hole will fill with a finer grain sand, which I can tell its softer when I go to dig. This will hold good for about 3 weeks..

One thing I have noticed at other beach's and this one ..seems the crab pot pieces collect in some areas. And my guess is because that's where the cage broke down. I do find strays but they are shallow most of the time and on the move. So far that is my fight against digging those babies.. Mapping out the area, then I'll be going in with the AQ...I'll let you know how that goes. It has worked before at one other location.

Good Luck..

Joe,

I hunt in AM too but thought that I could switch to Tone (which works on coins) to give me more info on the targets.   My beaches for the most part are steep and the sand movements are sever.   The can loose or gain 8 foot of sand overnight.  Yes, 8 foot is not a typo.   You cannot hunt out in the surf either.  Even if the waves were only a couple of feet tall, when they break, you wind up being thrown up to the wet line. (have had it happen, LOL)  My beaches all have surfers on them so that should tell you something about the waves and the breaks.   Anyway, there has been enough sand movement that I am trying to get to them before the sand and the jewelry is completely washed out.  This is a tough environment in the wet and you have to be an opportunist and catch the conditions just right or they are gone.   It takes major storms to bring stuff back in and we don't get major storms that often.  Every few years I am told.  So I just have to work with what I have.  Ok, enough ranting and raving.   It may take a few more days (or weeks) of using this detector but I will figure it out.  In the mean time, I will have my VLF charged and ready if the wet conditions are not good enough for the AQ. 

thanks,

Joe

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kac said:

Got a stupid question as I don't have a lot of hours on beach hunting. If your hitting a lot of heavier iron then would that area lack in the lighter rings and coins?

kac,

That is not a stupid question.  I think that I just have more sand movement here and there are very few constants that you can rely on.  I am trying to finesse in between a lot of extremes in sand movements.  When or if the sand moves out, it takes everything with it.  The Lobster Trap pieces are either new or in a spot that didn't get sanded out for a couple of years. I think that most of these pieces would move more freely than a heavier ring.  Gold is usually (or averagely) 9 times heavier than other metal in the sand.  That's what the smart guys tell me anyway.  So the gold should sink a few more inches under where the coins and this junk metal is.  Or that would be what you would think if you believe that gold in heavier.  It should be in the same stratus with the lead sinkers or at least pretty close.  I may just need to just keep digging everything and get it off the beach and take what AU the beach gives me.  LOL

thanks,

Joe 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

I can't help with the AQ. But I can say in the last 3 weeks or so I have dug around 60-70 of these things in So.Cal. The majority seem to be 3/4 to an inch long and they sound great. But I have been finding some rings and clad mixed in. Mine are no deeper than 8". I'm resigned to dig them and clear out my area.

KOB,

I am in So Cal also.  Looks like it may be the nature of the beast.  I keep digging and dumping them in the trash.  I can say at least that nobody will step on it and stab their foot.   I have been digging tons of tent pegs too but can tell them from the sound and loooooong tone or double beep.  It's a job keeping these beaches clean but at least we are doing our part!!!

thanks,

Joe.

• Like 3

This is from my experience on mid to steep slopes : on very low or minus tides the vast flat wet can being barren. Only some deeper pulltabs and caps from being pulled out by the surf. Drives me crazy , waste of time. As I move in to the bottom of the slope I tend to find the heavier iron , sinkers , etc. This is where I pay attention for the bigger HEAVIER gold. But this area of late has not been producing consistently for me. It is then where I focus on the mid to higher slope where I have been doing well. Lots of coins , smaller iron ( lobster trap bits ) and jewelry. The gold rings under 8 grams have been in this zone but have sunk deeper. It is my belief that they are being churned up and tossed back upon the beach to begin the process all over again. Timing is everything. You pretty much got to dig it all. Recently I had a great day , went back the next , it was sanded back and horrible. 2 days later I decided to hit it again and it was good. I would have normally waited a couple weeks to check this spot again. Now , I need to be checking my spots every 3 , 4 days. You never know , beach cams help but are not definitive. GL...

The KoB

• Like 5

2 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

This is from my experience on mid to steep slopes : on very low or minus tides the vast flat wet can being barren. Only some deeper pulltabs and caps from being pulled out by the surf. Drives me crazy , waste of time. As I move in to the bottom of the slope I tend to find the heavier iron , sinkers , etc. This is where I pay attention for the bigger HEAVIER gold. But this area of late has not been producing consistently for me. It is then where I focus on the mid to higher slope where I have been doing well. Lots of coins , smaller iron ( lobster trap bits ) and jewelry. The gold rings under 8 grams have been in this zone but have sunk deeper. It is my belief that they are being churned up and tossed back upon the beach to begin the process all over again. Timing is everything. You pretty much got to dig it all. Recently I had a great day , went back the next , it was sanded back and horrible. 2 days later I decided to hit it again and it was good. I would have normally waited a couple weeks to check this spot again. Now , I need to be checking my spots every 3 , 4 days. You never know , beach cams help but are not definitive. GL...

The KoB

KOB,

I think that you and I are experiencing the same thing.  Sounds like it as I may not have articulated it so well as I am relatively new to beach hunting.  I am checking my beaches as you say every couple of days to see which one has had some erosion and which ones are sanded back in.  I have one that the sand seems to move sideway as one end of the beach is sanded in and the sanded out.  I have some theories about the slopes myself and will be working on proving them out and as you say the negative tide area simple suck in my area.  I would find more in dry sand with a VLF most of the time.  I do think that you are correct in that it is a timing thing, at least this year.  I think I will as they say, "suck it up buttercup" and dig all until I find that setting that give me the subtle nuance that tells me "lobster trap piece". LOL

HH,

Joe 

• Like 1

welcome to 300 Spartans

dig it all

Git Guud

Eat more Spinach Popeye

learn to be proficient  with either hand digging and swinging

Folllow the Yellow Brick Road Dorthy

Remember Scarecrow  “ If I only had a Brain”

know when to snorkel and weight belt ,when to stay close to the Vault

Mark your territory, be come Alpha Alpha....its a statE of Mind ...hmmm..or is it mine?

wear out two scoops a year kick em to death

State of Mind “Be Gold Finger”

learning to Focus your Will on the Right Path 

sometimes staying where youR at is Golden.....

Happy Golden Trails 
jimpugh

Ps you are a modern day prospector Mother Earth is running out of metal conserve wisely 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimpugh said:

welcome to 300 Spartans

dig it all

Git Guud

Eat more Spinach Popeye

learn to be proficient  with either hand digging and swinging

Folllow the Yellow Brick Road Dorthy

Remember Scarecrow  “ If I only had a Brain”

know when to snorkel and weight belt ,when to stay close to the Vault

Mark your territory, be come Alpha Alpha....its a statE of Mind ...hmmm..or is it mine?

wear out two scoops a year kick em to death

State of Mind “Be Gold Finger”

learning to Focus your Will on the Right Path 

sometimes staying where youR at is Golden.....

Happy Golden Trails 
jimpugh

Ps you are a modern day prospector Mother Earth is running out of metal conserve wisely 

I hear ya Jim!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m with you guys on the steep slope beaches in south OC.  Seems to me targets just aren’t there like they used to be.  Used to hit big patches of them. Very risky now to get near where the good stuff probably is - where the waves crash.  Even some of the one or two foot tall surges are so fast they have knocked me over. Good luck trying to hear the results of tweaking some delay setting or minute coil position with these waves coming at you.  Good luck getting more than one effective scoop dig without it filling back in as well.  I’m beginning to think we need a super powered pi with all the guts in the shaft and a super deep scoop.  Maybe make the scoop plastic so we can scan it onsite.

• Like 1

And thus is the reason many PIs arent used as a daily machine.   Here in Fl......you can see those babies all over out there just outside of the sand bars during season.   One bad storm and they become a problem.  How many see those ROPES deep in the sand...... we all know what they are.   PIs even with the ability to disc right now are still a USE IT IN THE RIGHT LOCATION.....but a machine worth having if they are deep.  Winters here in Fl ...are excellent times to use a PI.  Things get moving with tides swings which can cause more wave action.  That of course causes more trash to treasure issues and there will always be a debate on which machine to take.  We have beaches here where some are can slaw...... some bottle caps.... and some ....ammo pieces.... and yes some have a lot of iron/crab traps.   Using a PI can be like using a pattern search on a VLF..... acceptable losses.... or a whole lot of digging it all.... to a point.   I think Joe uses the dig the whisper method.   Most of us here in FL would have to change the way we think because of recent drops.   Most find it difficult to NOT dig it all except for what we disc out with our VLFs.......and its always .... i might miss a chain or large piece of silver jewelry.  NO ONE likes to dig trash...... but you have to learn some and accept the rest..... or switch machines for that beach.  

• Like 3

These wire mesh are very special.
I have never met one on our European beaches.

If they are closed in the form of rings, I think you would not be able to discriminate them with impulse AQ.

It's the same with a VLF or BBS, it detects iron buckles or horseshoes ...

• Like 4