White's USA Fire Sale

It is  a shame. Sounds like they are trying to sell off everything to pay off something or get out of debt who knows. It would have been way better if they sold their company to a competitor instead of just jumping ship.

• Like 1

That is a lot of stuff. Now we know where some of the money went to. Some of those machines do not look like they were cheap to buy.

Don't think I have the heart to buy any of that. Like picking over a corpse.

• Haha 1

Someone could have at least bought the brand and kept it going. Look at Fisher,,,,,,,,hardly any of the originals are still in production. Maybe the gold bug 2 and the CZ21.......CZ3d if it is still around. But the rest had a "Face Lift" of sorts and were completely new models while the 1225 and 1236 types first TX let them die off.

• Like 1

My guess they wanted more for the brand and equipment than you could make back in the current line up of machines out there. Would take a lot of investment and R&D to recoop and be competitive again. Just my hunch.

• Like 1

I would think with all the detectors they have out there, that "service only" would be profitable for some of their former employees doing warranty repairs now! They would just have to get another supplier for the part's going forward! 👍👍

• Like 1

Carl Moreland will chip in if he wants, but I’m pretty sure that the new F-Point pointer (a PI machine) Carl designed is way different than the TRX which I believe is a VLF IB pinpointer.

As far as the rest, I think that Fisher has all it can manage with funding and proceeding with their own on-going development projects and given that Whites sales declined to the point where they “threw in the towel” it would seem unlikely that anyone thought that any existing Whites machine would offer a project worth throwing money at.

They have a large patent portfolio, but with a couple of exceptions, none of the still valid ones are likely to be worth much for the reasons I wrote above.

• Like 1

What you see for sale is a bunch of older generic stuff that practically no one who might buy "the company" would want to mess with. What is not for sale is all the key equipment for making detectors. I suspect they are still trying to strike a deal on an overall sale.

For the most part, there is nothing preventing a company from making the same detectors as White's was making. Replicating the circuit design is easy, but they would also need the micro source code. Source code repositories are on the company server with limited access so it's not a matter of anyone's "know-how," it's a matter of having the source code. Everything else is simple. If an "overall sale" never happens then White's may piecemeal-sell the designs, and then FTP might show an interest.

When I started the F-Pulse design I considered re-creating the TRX. I did not because (a) I had only recently left White's and felt that would be a bit unethical, and (b) the TRX was an incredibly difficult project (I designed the circuit, but did not write the micro code so I would have to start from scratch on that). So I went with PI instead. One day I may design a "PRX" pinpointer, but not for now.

• Like 6

I've recently talked to someone who was really in "the know" about what went down at White's.  No, the company didn't go broke, actually it made a bundle in the over seas markets and the owner just decided it was over......I'm done. Some speculation was that he's fighting illness,  no one's sure on that.   Some of their better products will surely end up being sold to off.........just glad I dumped all my White's detectors couple yeats ago.