White's USA Fire Sale

On 10/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, Hard Prospector said:

I've recently talked to someone who was really in "the know" about what went down at White's.  No, the company didn't go broke, actually it made a bundle in the over seas markets and the owner just decided it was over......I'm done. Some speculation was that he's fighting illness,  no one's sure on that.   Some of their better products will surely end up being sold to off.........just glad I dumped all my White's detectors couple yeats ago.

It's a good story, but not reality. I worked there, and still kept tabs after I left. Sales were falling continuously. Every time I dropped by, there were fewer and fewer cars in the parking lot. Yes, there was a couple of years quite a while back where sales in Africa exploded, then the Chinese counterfeits put a stop to that. The owners were irrelevant because they did very little in the company. Once upon a time there was talk of an employee buy-out but in the end there wasn't much for them to buy out.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, Geotech said:

(a) I had only recently left White's and felt that would be a bit unethical

Was there no NDA or other legal agreement preventing you from doing that?

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Was there no NDA or other legal agreement preventing you from doing that?

I had an unenforceable (badly written) 2 year NDA but even if enforceable would not have prevented me from designing a similar product, meaning a VLF pinpointer. Just not the same design. And since I did not write the TRX micro code, it would have been guaranteed to be a different design. But it still might have looked a bit dodgy so I chose a PI design to avoid any semblance of dodginess.

• Like 5

On 10/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, Geotech said:

I had an unenforceable (badly written) 2 year NDA but even if enforceable would not have prevented me from designing a similar product, meaning a VLF pinpointer. Just not the same design. And since I did not write the TRX micro code, it would have been guaranteed to be a different design. But it still might have looked a bit dodgy so I chose a PI design to avoid any semblance of dodginess.

Thanks for the explanation.