Just noticed this on the White's USA website, offloading of factory machinery.  Full list of equipment can be found here

Equipment ranging from Forklifts to Scopes and Drill presses

Can't purchase any of this in the UK, but I thought it would interest members from the USA

Whites-Equipment-List.pdf

• Sad 2
  • Oh my! 2

It is  a shame. Sounds like they are trying to sell off everything to pay off something or get out of debt who knows. It would have been way better if they sold their company to a competitor instead of just jumping ship.

• Like 1

That is a lot of stuff. Now we know where some of the money went to. Some of those machines do not look like they were cheap to buy.

Don't think I have the heart to buy any of that. Like picking over a corpse.

• Haha 1

A lot of the equipment they're selling off is so old, some of it dated from the 1970's, says so right on the photos.   It won't be an easy sell and none of the competitors with more modern facilities would want the stuff and a lot of the bigger items aren't worth moving long haul so someone local would need to buy them.  At least most of it is generic equipment, capable of being used for a lot of purposes outside of metal detector manufacturing so they should find buyers.

I am sure they would have preferred to sell out to a competitor but really, what competitor would want to buy them out?  Obviously none as it didn't happen.   It's a shame as a few of their products were worth continuing like the 24k/GMX but again, they're not worth paying money to buy the rights to as any competitor is likely capable of making the product themselves anyway if they wanted to.

It's about as official as you can get now though, Whites is done. 😞 Pretty sad and I'm sure more so for those who have used their products forever, its the end of an era, death by competition.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Someone could have at least bought the brand and kept it going. Look at Fisher,,,,,,,,hardly any of the originals are still in production. Maybe the gold bug 2 and the CZ21.......CZ3d if it is still around. But the rest had a "Face Lift" of sorts and were completely new models while the 1225 and 1236 types first TX let them die off.

• Like 1

My guess they wanted more for the brand and equipment than you could make back in the current line up of machines out there. Would take a lot of investment and R&D to recoop and be competitive again. Just my hunch.

• Like 1

I would think with all the detectors they have out there, that "service only" would be profitable for some of their former employees doing warranty repairs now! They would just have to get another supplier for the part's going forward! 👍👍

• Like 1

Now the real question, if it's closed down, and staff have moved on from there to say.... Fisher, can Fisher now start producing similar products to the Whites products with the staffs know-how.  Can they use designs they've made in the past for White's at Fisher?

Like Geotech making the TRX, can he now whip up a Fisher PRX pin pointer based off the Whites pin pointers guts, that he designed anyway?

Carl Moreland will chip in if he wants, but I’m pretty sure that the new F-Point pointer (a PI machine) Carl designed is way different than the TRX which I believe is a VLF IB pinpointer.

As far as the rest, I think that Fisher has all it can manage with funding and proceeding with their own on-going development projects and given that Whites sales declined to the point where they “threw in the towel” it would seem unlikely that anyone thought that any existing Whites machine would offer a project worth throwing money at.

They have a large patent portfolio, but with a couple of exceptions, none of the still valid ones are likely to be worth much for the reasons I wrote above.

• Like 2