2 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

They have a large patent portfolio, but with a couple of exceptions, none of the still valid ones are likely to be worth much for the reasons I wrote above.

The White's TRX has the advantage of being one of the most sensitive pin pointers to small gold if not the most sensitive when it comes to standard hand held pin pointers where as the F-Point is one of the least sensitive to small gold, seeing Fisher are likely making a prospecting PI in the near future ūü§ě a sensitive to gold Pinpointer would really suit their lineup.¬† The Gold Bug 2 is great, don't get me wrong, but in the same lineup from the same manufacturer having a modern design prospecting VLF like the 24k/GMX would also be of benefit, not everyone wants an old design detector like the GB2 with people liking more modern detectors with a screen, auto ground balance and so on.

• Like 1

What you see for sale is a bunch of older generic stuff that practically no one who might buy "the company" would want to mess with. What is not for sale is all the key equipment for making detectors. I suspect they are still trying to strike a deal on an overall sale.

For the most part, there is nothing preventing a company from making the same detectors as White's was making. Replicating the circuit design is easy, but they would also need the micro source code. Source code repositories are on the company server with limited access so it's not a matter of anyone's "know-how," it's a matter of having the source code. Everything else is simple. If an "overall sale" never happens then White's may piecemeal-sell the designs, and then FTP might show an interest.

When I started the F-Pulse design I considered re-creating the TRX. I did not because (a) I had only recently left White's and felt that would be a bit unethical, and (b) the TRX was an incredibly difficult project (I designed the circuit, but did not write the micro code so I would have to start from scratch on that). So I went with PI instead. One day I may design a "PRX" pinpointer, but not for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've recently talked to someone who was really in "the know" about what went down at White's.  No, the company didn't go broke, actually it made a bundle in the over seas markets and the owner just decided it was over......I'm done. Some speculation was that he's fighting illness,  no one's sure on that.   Some of their better products will surely end up being sold to off.........just glad I dumped all my White's detectors couple yeats ago.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, Hard Prospector said:

I've recently talked to someone who was really in "the know" about what went down at White's.  No, the company didn't go broke, actually it made a bundle in the over seas markets and the owner just decided it was over......I'm done. Some speculation was that he's fighting illness,  no one's sure on that.   Some of their better products will surely end up being sold to off.........just glad I dumped all my White's detectors couple yeats ago.

It's a good story, but not reality. I worked there, and still kept tabs after I left. Sales were falling continuously. Every time I dropped by, there were fewer and fewer cars in the parking lot. Yes, there was a couple of years quite a while back where sales in Africa exploded, then the Chinese counterfeits put a stop to that. The owners were irrelevant because they did very little in the company. Once upon a time there was talk of an employee buy-out but in the end there wasn't much for them to buy out.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, Geotech said:

(a) I had only recently left White's and felt that would be a bit unethical

Was there no NDA or other legal agreement preventing you from doing that?

Ethics. That which guides some folks - even in the absence of legal sanctions.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Was there no NDA or other legal agreement preventing you from doing that?

I had an unenforceable (badly written) 2 year NDA but even if enforceable would not have prevented me from designing a similar product, meaning a VLF pinpointer. Just not the same design. And since I did not write the TRX micro code, it would have been guaranteed to be a different design. But it still might have looked a bit dodgy so I chose a PI design to avoid any semblance of dodginess.

• Like 5
On 10/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, Geotech said:

I had an unenforceable (badly written) 2 year NDA but even if enforceable would not have prevented me from designing a similar product, meaning a VLF pinpointer. Just not the same design. And since I did not write the TRX micro code, it would have been guaranteed to be a different design. But it still might have looked a bit dodgy so I chose a PI design to avoid any semblance of dodginess.

Thanks for the explanation.

YAY! I may get a GMX and new TRX (to replace my bad one) after all!  Especially if they have been taken over by a brand that makes it more accessible internationally.

• Like 1