Excalibur In Pinpoint Vs. Equinox 800 In Saltwater... Opinions...

And to be a little more specific...

I can run my Excal. in pinpoint mode with a sensitivity around 9 in the saltwater.

I can run the Equinox around 20 sensitivity and recovery speed around 3.

Any thoughts on which one punches deeper on a coin or ring size object? Thanks!

Honestly, though, even knowing that, your parameters are still too broad to really give you a definitive  answer.  How much salinity?  Any black sand?  Composition of the target?

In general, the Excal probably punches deeper in that config, but on average, are you doing more guessing on target ID (effective depth) or simply beep digging it all?  If the latter, perhaps the Excal has the edge.  But on shallower targets are you just guessing or discriminating?  The recovery speed of the Equinox doesn't bring much to the table from a performance standpoint, but at least it is knob you can tweak which is not available on the Excal so it cound make the difference in certain situations.  Anecdotally, I am not seeing a lot of folks touting their Excals over the Equinox unless they are doing a lot of submerged water detecting or rough surf, where the Excal has the edge because it is more durable.  That's my take.

• Like 1

I often use my Equinox in Beach 1 in pinpoint mode to check for extra deep targets. It will pick up targets clearly that are very iffy at best in Beach 1 detect mode.  Beach 1 and Beach 2 are definitely not the deeper search modes on the Equinox. 

I’ve never used an Excal. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

How big is the excal coil, 8 or 10". 

10 inch

19 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Honestly, though, even knowing that, your parameters are still too broad to really give you a definitive  answer.  How much salinity?  Any black sand?  Composition of the target?

Yes.. there are so many variables. I dig it all, no black sand, Gulf of Mexico salinity water, definitely looking for gold but will dig any remotely possible signal. 
In rough breaking surf the Excalibur is superior in signal stability and all around has a more robust feel. 
In the water the Nox will pick up smaller bits of aluminum trash near the surface but I can’t definitely say if one is deeper than the other on coin size or gold objects. In wet sand I prefer the Nox maxed out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

And to be a little more specific...

I can run my Excal. in pinpoint mode with a sensitivity around 9 in the saltwater.

I can run the Equinox around 20 sensitivity and recovery speed around 3.

Any thoughts on which one punches deeper on a coin or ring size object? Thanks!

Well I have about 20 years on the Sovereign and am experienced enough on the Nox to comment. 

While I have not compared both machines in head to head. I am pretty comfortable to say at the beach I hunt, the Equinox is better in the wet sand and in the water the Sovereign is better, 10" sov coil and stock Nox coil. I have wrote on this topic several times. 

My conditions are: Mild to moderate black sand, and lots of moving water.  

Dave

• Like 4

Where I hunt, it's pretty much a tie on depth with the Equinox 11" and the Excal 10" in the wet sand or water. With the 12X15 on the Nox and the 15" NEL  Attack, or 15" Coiltek WOT on the Excal, I get another inch or two in depth over the Nox on average. Not all beaches the same, but, most have moderate black sand. Depth comparison is similar in the dry sand, but, the Equinox is much better at finding tiny targets. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cudamark said:

Where I hunt, it's pretty much a tie on depth with the Equinox 11" and the Excal 10" in the wet sand or water. With the 12X15 on the Nox and the 15" NEL  Attack, or 15" Coiltek WOT on the Excal, I get another inch or two in depth over the Nox on average. Not all beaches the same, but, most have moderate black sand. Depth comparison is similar in the dry sand, but, the Equinox is much better at finding tiny targets. 

Thanks for sharing that information. I had a 15 inch WOT coil hardwired onto an older Excal once and was quite happy with it. I hunted around Daytona Beach in the wet sand and it went pretty deep. I do agree that the Nox finds really small targets in the wet sand including small gold chains. Nothing too deep with the chains, maybe several inches but I'm more than pleased with that.

Yup, Beach 1 and 2 are not the greatest modes (in the Equinox choices) for tiny gold/platinum, but, better than most other machines. In the dry sand, it another story. Gold 1 and 2 are the best (naturally) and I find Field 2 is the next best. I have some gold items I use to test with and some of the smaller items only give a signal (in an air test) in those three modes. The Excal won't see them at all regardless of settings.

• Like 1