Digging For Gold With No Pick. We've All Done It, Right?

Well Gerry, I would have replied sooner but I misplaced my keyboard.

Years ago when I was falling timber I would carry a stout single bit axe for driving wedges. I was forever leaving it behind and loosing it. One day my falling partner said "did you loose your axe again?" I told him "yup. I have a hard axe to follow."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gerry,

The GPS locators are getting cheaper, but there are different types! Don't know alot about them, but here's a 4 pack of one example i found on Amazon!👍👍

20201007_130146.jpg

• Thanks 1

That’s a pick worth going back for and nice gold well worth the sacrifice of a plastic scoop if it even shows sign of the battle. Wonder I still have mine, farthest I’ve gone back for my Apex was lovelock to the blue wing mountains when I got a ride back to my suv in a friends quad and I left it in the back. Panic next morning loading gear heading out to Rye Patch apron discovering I had no pick, lucky he was still there. 

• Thanks 1

…one of the reasons I put all sorts of tape with garish, loud colors on mine. It's really helped when I walk away from it.

• Like 1

Yeah....I've left my pick half way down the mtn next to a dig and had to abort the location once I got there that I'd intended to hunt that day. I surely wasn't gonna hike up the mtn twice so found my pick and went to a plan B....

Been nugget shooting 3 seasons now and have found 1 scoop and 2 Estwing rock hammers so far..... and lost one el cheapo pick my first season....

Nice gold you got there....!!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, klunker said:

Well Gerry, I would have replied sooner but I misplaced my keyboard.

Years ago when I was falling timber I would carry a stout single bit axe for driving wedges. I was forever leaving it behind and loosing it. One day my falling partner said "did you loose your axe again?" I told him "yup. I have a hard axe to follow."

LMAO....  yeah, I've lost a few falling axes when I was falling. Tried florescent paint and that's good for about 2 days...lol

Swegin - Your simple way of a quick look back could be, should be and as of now, will be mentioned during my Field Training and for more reasons than just a pick.  Thanks for sharing.

Klunker - It's funny you mentioned the small axe and wedges.  I don't find many of them in NV, but have so in Eastern Oregon and now realize it is the loggers who probably lost them, not the prospectors.  Interesting bit and thanks for contributing.  Oh, and I think you found your keyboard...

1515Art - Yes I too have left things in other people's rigs.  it is almost to the point I'd rather take folks in my own truck so I don't forget my stuff.  I find scoops, headphones, pouches, jackets, a big sterling belt buckle that I sent back to the guy and even a nugget container in the truck one time.  I keep my training customers emails, so when I get home and clean the truck, I usually have something extra and can get it back to them.  Yes APEX is a great pick and luckily they are made here in Idaho, so I get them easily.  Thanks for contributing.

Flakmagnet - You bring up another good point about spicing up your gear.  Since my headphones get passed around during the training, I have come up with yellow tape on both sides, so I can easily see who has them on.  Thanks for contributing.

Oneguy - We learn as we go, but as we age we sometimes forget the simple things.  My wife is notorious for driving away from the house and then I see her drive around the block and by again.  So I call her cell, to only find out, she wanted to make sure she closed the garage door.  This is almost a weekly thing with her.  At least she thinks of it before she gets too far down the road.  Then she calls me to check the garage.  Funny how we are.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Coz I`ve done it often, not a habit that comes with age, have done it since year one. Ya just gotta be slightly scrambled to participate in this hobby, maybe a defrag of RAM would help but I think we are hopelessly but wllingly addicted to this crazy hobby. 

• Haha 1

Two things that I have found lost while detecting in remote areas was a GPS and a Sat phone in another location. I hope the Sat Phone was not needed and it was wrecked by the environment when I saw it. The GPS was lost by a mate, he left it were he had found a stray nugget. He tried to find it but got lost himself, he called me up on his Walkie talkie. I was able to get him to walk to a track (a good handrail) with the aid of the sun at 2 o'clock till he hit the track. I found the GPS but there was no other nuggets to be found. 😢

• Like 1