Revolutionary Button Identification

Hi all,

Can anyone help me identify this button I just dug? The tavern site is circa 1740 in NJ. Depth 10". Button measures 15mm in diameter. I believe I see an eagle, with its head turned to the left, two wings open, and two feet at the bottom. I can feel these details with my toothpick as well. In a short video clip you can see this better than in this picture.

Corrosion was orange dirt that didn't give me much trouble toothpicking off, but you can see she's pretty corroded. Pewter? The loop shank on the back is crushed against the back of the button. Nothing legible as far as backmark. I think it might be revolutionary period, however I also did dig a Civil War officers button here as well.

Thank you!

Damian

IMG_5027.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like iron. Try a magnet to it, I bet it sticks. As for the eagle, I'm not sure. Usually corrosion can take the shape of many things.  You said it has a shank?? It almost looks like a 4 hole undergarment button. It would be better if you tooth picked as much as you could to see if there are any details on it. Pewter usually is gray with the edges de-laminating, if not found in good dirt.

• Like 3

Pewter usually turns a dull gray or maybe black in bad soil conditions. Older pewter has lead in it and should be similar in TID's.

Nice find though. Did you try rinsing it off?

This is after toothpicking, before a light coat of mineral oil to preserve. Is there a way I can post a video here? In video you can really see what I’m talking about! 

What time period were iron buttons made??

Generally iron buttons are late 1800's to present, but iron was always available and was probably used earlier as well. Most Civil War era and earlier civilian buttons were brass, pewter or tombac. Undergarment and buttons to jeans were generally brass or iron. I'm not sure how many posts you need before you can link a video. Others that have done so can tell you better on that issue.

• Like 2

Not a lot of detail on that piece and hard to tell what metal it is made of but you might find some similarities in what is left and size. Here is a link that might help. 

https://inkspotantiques.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

https://www.vintagebuttons.net/uniform.html

It does look like a 2 piece button where you have a face that is rolled over a back. Not an expert but think that style came out in the mid 1800's. Earlier buttons I found were solid.

• Like 2

Yes I agree with the two piece theory kac. Were you able to watch the video?

I am wondering if you see the eagle that I see... or am I just seeing what I want to see.

As it is magnetic and surrounding soil was tainted orange, I’m confident it is iron. My research says iron buttons were either much earlier, or much later. The rest of my finds on this site have been earlier, circa 1770-Civil War.

Thanks!