Testing The Garrett Apex / False Signals - Issue Solved

59 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

Brand new Apex +MS3 on the doorstep this morning.   Cudo's to Garrett. 

Good news ...I am looking forward to see if that solves the pb ...

1 hour ago, UtahRich said:

Brand new Apex +MS3 on the doorstep this morning.   Cudo's to Garrett. 

Great to hear!  Through the years I've seldom had a need for Garrett service, but when I did it was simply exceptional.

I have a set of the MS3 headphones for each of my Apex devices and they are terrific!  Comfortable, block a lot of outside noise, nice ear protection this time of year, and best of all the audio is great for this hearing-impaired old guy.

Keep us posted on how things go with you and the Apex.

Monte

• Like 1

Weird. My Apex device runs very well under high power lines... but with two bars removed from maximum sensitivity. No issues at all. But I was heard about some problems with chattering and unstable behaviour from two guys... few days ago. interesting topic. About target locking... is not perfect and that is true. If you narrow your sweeps on target it stay locked if item is coins or similar round shape.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Weird. My Apex device runs very well under high power lines... but with two bars removed from maximum sensitivity. No issues at all. But I was heard about some problems with chattering and unstable behaviour from two guys... few days ago. interesting topic. About target locking... is not perfect and that is true. If you narrow your sweeps on target it stay locked if item is coins or similar round shape.

Thanks for your post Shelton ,

From the posts I have seen in this forum up to now , for sure I am not the only one having this  pb ... However I am not sure that the pb is related to power lines ... Now it would be interesting to have the Garrett's US support answer on this ... btw I will try to recontact the French Garretts local support on this issue tomorrow ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Shelton, I appreciate your post.

I have two (2) of the new Apex devices.  One of them had a 'noise' issue near the coil cable connector/control housing connector.  If I had th connector nut finger snug and nothing got moved about, all was well and I could hunt away.  My first Apex didn't have that issue.  The folks at garrett, as always, were quick to take care of the problem.

As for 'other noise' such as EMI, my Apex devices run very quiet most of the time.  I always have them start-up at Full Sensitivity, and in my Custom Discriminate mode that 'accepts' all notch segments from '20' on up  I DO, on occasion, end up in a noisy environment, like here in my den.  But when out hunting, I can be under most phone-pole power lines  and even close to some of the metal-box power units on-ground and have very little if any issues.

But a lot depends on the power source and who know what  because I can relocate to a different area and be close to a power-pole line or transformer and get some EMI instability.  Usually I drop the Sensitivity from the full '8' setting to '6' or sometimes'5' and that takes care of the issue  Location, as always , can be a key.

Monte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monte said:

I have two (2) of the new Apex devices.  One of them had a 'noise' issue near the coil cable connector/control housing connector.  If I had th connector nut finger snug and nothing got moved about, all was well and I could hunt away.  My first Apex didn't have that issue.  The folks at garrett, as always, were quick to take care of the problem.

Hi Monte , what do you mean by "garrett were quick to take care of the problem" ?  what did they do exactly ? thanks ...

35 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Hi Monte , what do you mean by "garrett were quick to take care of the problem" ?  thanks because I still have no solution for my Apex noise/false signals issue  ...

My friend, UtahRich, had some issues with his new Apex at the coil cable connector.  He contacted Garrett, they sent an RMA shipping label.  he sent it in but received a brand new Apex.  I have two Apex devices an one has a 'noise' issue at the cable connector.  I have it boxed to send in, they will send me a brand new replacement.  The advantage I have is I am still able to get out hunting with my first Apex until the other one is replaced.

My reason for 2 of them, like other favorites where I own two of the same, is to keep a different search coil mounted full-time.  That way I just grab the detector / coil set-up I want for a particular site.  I just need to determine which two coils I'll use most often and be good-to-go.

Monte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monte,

It's a bit chilly at 27* outside and I have several inches of snow in the yard with more falling. So, I am stuck checking my newly replaced APEX w/MS3 headphones inside.  I have a good spot of concrete in the basement without any ferrous below where i can Ground Balance a detector than toss some items on the floor.  Items detected.  No falsing as i sweep back and forth or from movement with the cable. Headphones pair up super easy and are comfy.  A quick run thru the frequencies, up and down with the sensitivity.  All targets detected. This is good. 

Now,  what to do for the next few months - - - - - -  

Rich - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Monte,

It's a bit chilly at 27* outside and I have several inches of snow in the yard with more falling. So, I am stuck checking my newly replaced APEX w/MS3 headphones inside.  I have a good spot of concrete in the basement without any ferrous below where i can Ground Balance a detector than toss some items on the floor.  Items detected.  No falsing as i sweep back and forth or from movement with the cable. Headphones pair up super easy and are comfy.  A quick run thru the frequencies, up and down with the sensitivity.  All targets detected. This is good. 

Now,  what to do for the next few months - - - - - -  

Rich - 

Rich, no snow here.  However, at got down to 16° before sun-up, and now at 10: 30 AM is is mostly clear, sunny and warmed to 26° and a liht breeze picked up so I don't think I'm heading out today, snow or no snow.  So, like every cold and confined winter it means indoor testing.

The Garrett MS3 headphones are one of the most appreciated 'accessories' we could ask for (other than an accessory cil assortment) and I have a set for each of my Apex devices, plus the separate Tx/Rx package to use them with any of my other detectors and get away from corded headphones.

As for a testing spot that is out of the weather, I need to get a couple of grandsons out here to handle a chore for me.   I moved my old carport and we sided it with metal siding and Monte Jr. added a mad-door.  That 12X20 structure is now my enclosed woodshed.  But when they put the last batch of loose wood in there, they piled in on the center open area rather than stacked it around the side with the other wood.  The central area is where i do some in-door (but chilly) out-of weather testing as I can bury targets in the dirt or just lay them on the ground and still have the detector deal with the ground mineral make-up.

As for the Apex, no, it doesn't have some adjustments like recovery speed or iron bias or whatever else some folks bring up, .... however .... it does have very good in-the-field performance, handles a lot of iron debris quite well, considering the slightly bigger-size 6X11 DD coil, and so far, everything about the Apex I like.  Performance, as well as quick-and-simple adjustments, available settings, and I definitely can't forget the wonderful light-weight and comfortable balance.

Now, to get my hands on Garrett's new coils and a smaller size NEL coil, such as the 5" DD for the really challenging sites I like to hunt.  That will help me pass some time awaiting weather improvements.

Glad you're replacement Apex took care of the issues you had and I'm sure it is a detector that will hang around in your personal outfit.

Monte

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last status on my faulting Apex ( false signals ) , my dealer ( Lutece detection in Paris ) has contacted the European Garrett support,based in Germany

From what they said there are actually a few  faulting machines that have been sent back by customers . For some of them , the pb came from a faulting coil . So they asked me to send my Apex back to them for analysis.

Then it looks like the situation in Europe is similar to the US.  A positive thing ,the Garrett support is reactive and they listen their customers ... 🙂

I will continue to update this thread as soon as I have more infos ..

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Testing The Garrett Apex / False Signals - Issue Solved