Chinese Coin Date Help

Hey all,

Today I went out for a quick one hour run on a 18th century site. I have found a lot of good things at this place. Yesterday they started to cut a long driveway around the property, so I decided to hit the cut. I found a 70's penny, a 40's golf club head and half a horse shoe. Then there was this chinese coin, the first I have ever found. I tried to google but came up with nothing that matches. The coin is very thin and seems to be copper or an alloy of copper. I was hoping the DP gang could help with a date for this odd little coin. Any clue's or help would be great.

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

• Like 2

My knowledge of Chinese cash coins is modest, but the "I Ching" piece depicted is a modern amulet/good luck pocket charm, not a true circulating coin. Personally I have found numerous genuine cash at 1850's California Gold Rush sites and 1880's railroad labor camps, the earliest coins dating back to about 1700. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 2

Can never have too many good luck charms, might want to glue it to your MK 🙂

• Haha 1

Nice finds and hope you have some more like this.

I am not good on coins so I will let some of the experts here help you.

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I believe this might be getting close to it, different border.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#yung cheng

Emperor SHIH TSUNG
AD 1723-1735

reign title: YUNG-CHENG, AD 1723-1735

chching4.jpg.2c9832018db8c402c29c4788ed7f06aa.jpg

Yours might be a fake, or... it might be a different year, that link has it all.. characters match up close.

good sleuthing work phrunt.    Yes, the cache coins with 4 characters (versus 2 characters only) on the one side, are the "newer" ones.    If they have only 2 characters on that side, they are 1600s or earlier, I think.

The only other thing I would add is that :   Don't let dates like from the mid 1700s get you excited, for these cache coins.   Because apparently they were stored in barrels over in China for centuries, and not taken out till it was time to emigrate overseas, centuries later.   So the dates on these coins can range all the way back to the 1500s and 1600s, that are found here in CA/west coast.  Yet have utterly nothing to do with the date of when circulated/lost.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I believe this might be getting close to it, different border.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#yung cheng

Emperor SHIH TSUNG
AD 1723-1735

reign title: YUNG-CHENG, AD 1723-1735

chching4.jpg.2c9832018db8c402c29c4788ed7f06aa.jpg

Yours might be a fake, or... it might be a different year, that link has it all.. characters match up close.

If it's a fake then who did the knock off???? LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Dogodog, I am from China, and the piece you have is a modern handicraft. If the Yongzheng Tongbao recipe is genuine, the value of this coin in China ranges from $30 to $50, which is rare even in China, because the circulation time is not long, and the craftsmanship of the genuine article is generally exquisite

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1