What are you AQ guys/gals using to protect your coil bottoms with?, marine epoxy?  By the way what does a new replacement coil cost? GaryC/Oregon Coast

I would not expect any type of epoxy to hold up very well. It's got to be plastic. I zip tied a frisbee to the coil of my CZ20 and that worked pretty well.

7 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

What are you AQ guys/gals using to protect your coil bottoms with?, marine epoxy?  By the way what does a new replacement coil cost? GaryC/Oregon Coast

I'm using an AQ coil cover to protect mine, fits like a glove!

3 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I would not expect any type of epoxy to hold up very well. It's got to be plastic. I zip tied a frisbee to the coil of my CZ20 and that worked pretty well.

I find marine epoxy to hold up beyond well. Once coated, maybe a slight touch-up yearly. 

I should add that I am a coil scrubber. My coil stays glued to the beach. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, midalake said:

I find marine epoxy to hold up beyond well. Once coated, maybe a slight touch-up yearly. 

I should add that I am a coil scrubber. My coil stays glued to the beach. 

It's pretty much the same stuff that the coil is filled with. All you are doing is making the bottom a bit thicker and ruining the resale value at the same time.

I'm a scrubber too. Sand isn't very abrasive. If all I hunted was sand, I wouldn't even bother with a cover. The problem we have on our beaches is rocks. Rocks can chew up a coil pretty quickly.

18 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

It's pretty much the same stuff that the coil is filled with. All you are doing is making the bottom a bit thicker and ruining the resale value at the same time.

I'm a scrubber too. Sand isn't very abrasive. The problem we have on our beaches is rocks. Rocks can chew up a coil pretty quickly.

First off I am not ruining the resale value🙄

Secondly the coating of epoxy is not as thick of a space as a coil cover. 

Thirdly there is not a coil cover I have not been able to use as well after coating.

Fourthly by keeping the coil cover off I am assured there will be no infiltration of any black sand to disrupt the detector.  I have seen enough build up in just 1 hr of detecting to cause machine problems. 

I will say I don't bounce off rocky beaches regularly and I am sure there are rock conditions that may affect the epoxy. However I personally have not found any. 

Remember years ago I sold one of my sovereigns. I have been running epoxy so long that I never mentioned to this buyer the coil was coated. He read me the riot act up one side and down the other on "how I ruined the coil"  and I "owe him".

After calming him down and explaining the "whys" I assured him if the coil did not preform I would flat out send him a new coil. Two months go by I contacted him. He thanked me profusely on how everything worked and the fact he never had to take the coil cover off every trip to clean it!!!!!  

Dave 

• Like 1

That's fine that you feel that way. I just prefer covers over coatings.

2 minutes ago, cdv said:

Coil cover a special order ?  Got my machine about 2 weeks ago and didn't get one. 

That’s because they do not make one, which is why people are discussing alternatives. Nor is there a price for replacement coils yet. But threads like this may change both items.

3 hours ago, Slimpickuns said:

I'm using an AQ coil cover to protect mine, fits like a glove!

33 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s because they do not make one, which is why people are discussing alternatives. Nor is there a price for replacement coils yet. But threads like this may change both items.

I was just asking because of the above post Steve......

Cliff

• Like 2