2 hours ago, Carolina said:

I agree whole heartedly. The potting material used is hard as nails and should be no problem, even for rocky beaches. That is unless you swing your coil like a pendulum and bang the hell out of those rocks 😂. I never have used the covers. I have friends who spray truck bed liner ( no metal ) on theirs though with much success. For me though just a waste.

I agree with you and Le.Jag, Eric foster has never done coil covers and these search coils 20 years later still work.
At the beach the pebbles are blunted by the waves, it's not flints!
Here it is not brittle resin as we could see on other competing brands made in China.

I think if the resin breaks it will be due to misuse.

With a coil cover you add 80grs 0.18once that makes a big difference!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

With a coil cover you add 80grs 0.18once that makes a big difference!

It sure does! And when the cover fills with water and sand particles it's even heavier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

I agree with you and Le.Jag, Eric foster has never done coil covers and these search coils 20 years later still work.
At the beach the pebbles are blunted by the waves, it's not flints!
Here it is not brittle resin as we could see on other competing brands made in China.

I think if the resin breaks it will be due to misuse.

Alexandre, Eric and I have had this very discussion. He also wound me a 12” coil for my VALLON, no coil cover. I know on some of his coils, he will pour a light weight potting material half way and finish with a heavier abuse resistant potting material. If it’s good enough for him and good enough for you, it’s good enough for me ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

Alexandre, Eric and I have had this very discussion. He also wound me a 12” coil for my VALLON, no coil cover. I know on some of his coils, he will pour a light weight potting material half way and finish with a heavier abuse resistant potting material. If it’s good enough for him and good enough for you, it’s good enough for me ! 

Yes it's exact, here a FOSTER's coil :

20201011_191718.thumb.jpg.28a32e3d7957f08d68bc8293814dcdfb.jpg

• Like 3

You guys have convinced me to consider going without a cover on the AQ. It would be nice to have a little less weight and less maintenance.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, midalake said:

Epoxy and Goggle are your friend!!!!! 😄

HH Dave

Goggle?

I cant say ive ever had a coil go bad by banging it around.  But i use a coil cover and epoxy it.  Its not the loss of depth, weight, cost.   its because i really wear a coil cover out.  Heres a picture on a couple ive got setting around.  On my Xcals until i started using epoxy i was going thru them fast.  I dont hunt as much now but then it was like 5 months and id start seeing real wear.

IMG_0395.JPG

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I cant say ive ever had a coil go bad by banging it around.  But i use a coil cover and epoxy it.  Its not the loss of depth, weight, cost.   its because i really wear a coil cover out.  Heres a picture on a couple ive got setting around.  On my Xcals until i started using epoxy i was going thru them fast.  I dont hunt as much now but then it was like 5 months and id start seeing real wear.

IMG_0395.JPG

Hey Dew

That is going way too long between coatings. As soon as one can see some black showing a light recoat is needed in those spots.  Just needs to be looked after more often!

Dave

Those Tarsacci covers are very thin and brittle to begin with. I went through three of them in the short time I had mine.