Nokta Gold Plus Trouble

Yep, I agree completely. Especially considering I was responsible for paying return shipping on the broken machines they kept sending me!  :wacko:

I just got my Nokta gold plus detector today and ran into trouble . The screen on the handle will light up but can't get a number display on it. I've check the pins and plug with both looking good. I plug it back in and still have the trouble. The detector was double box and it didn't have any damage to either one.

I hope someone has had the same problem with a quick fix. I really don't want to have to send it in before I can use it.

Chuck Anders

Hello. My team wants to investigate on this further so please email dilek@noktadetectors.com. Thank you. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear Chuck. my first fors gold the handle was issue-same as you.

my second issue is (still havent sent in for repair yet) toggle on handle broken -wont spring back, and control unit display went to system info display only.

i wonder iff they share handle's? It most likely is bad components resulting in input overload to circuit board is my best guess or purhaps a current draw issue resulting in processor failure. Im no engineer tho.

i was curious as to the plus machine, as it was on the table for me. it appears it wont be on my table soon.

good luck, i hope your experience is a positive one, i loved mine- when it worked right.

Sorry to hear of your troubles chuck. Hope you get this fixed soon. My plus seems to run fine. Ill have to get out and put it though some more time to make sure it works in the long run. But it looks pretty rainy for next few days.

On a personal level. Ive seen people around the world have some minor issues with nokta's last three detectors. I think when they handled the warranty issues themselves. The service was faster and better then having a american detector sales handle it. The only way that this american service department for nokta would be faster and perfect is if Steve was managing it. He would make sure that issues get resolved fast and the detector gets back in its owners hands and back in the hills where it belongs. Nokta builds a high quality detector and I hope they can get the small issues worked out. I think when new technology that revolutionizes the detecting world comes, it likely would be from nokta.

If you lived closer chuck , I would let you borrow my backup fors plus. Until yours gets fixed. But I will keep you posted if my fors plus has any issues as I will be out putting it thru some tough days testing.

You can see this detector is top quality made. Lots better than some I've had in the past. Some how this problem is getting pass them but it shouldn't. I'm going to email them now and hope this will help fix a problem they didn't know it was one till now.

californiagold 

I thank you so much for offer of a detector if I was near. Some people like to buy guns but me I buy detectors. So I do have a backup.

I'l keep everyone posted on the out come.

The Best

Chuck

Hi all,

This problem does rare its head occasionally here in Oz as well. The problem can be a number of causes...one its simply the screen on the handle needs replacing....which Nokta supply the whole middle shaft which holds the handle and screen/buttons complete......this is the replacement part.

Its very simple to check if the dealer attaches the faulty handle to a known working unit...if the handle  functions correctly.... the main board from which the handle came off is faulty in most cases. Its also possible that the plug where it attaches to the main board has connection issues. Its also best that the customer sends the whole unit back for diagnoses, and not just the handle.

As the repairer for Nokta/Makro Australia, iv now repaired a few suffering this failure.....there is no soldering needed for this and many other repairs....they are just simply plug and play setups making them probably the easiest detector to work on as all parts that could fail...are plug and play. This makes repairing the units very fast and simple. Including accidental damage caused by the customer...ie broken screens ect ect.

For any dealer in the USA...they are very simply to repair if you have the parts....and as a dealer, you should consider stocking all the necessary parts to keep your customers happy. Main board R&R can be done in less than 15min. Total dismantle about the same time. Fors gold, Core and RACER.

Id hazard a guess and say the FG+ and new Gold RACER will also be plug and play and have many parts interchangeable due to design similarities...very simply and nothing to stress over thinking you need to hire a technician for repairs...not necessary.

They are a pleasure to fix repair mend when the need arises. And in most cases, the customer if local to your shop can come back in an hr or so and pick it up should he/her present you with a failed unit.?

I personally check the operation of each and every machine that leaves our store, but that does not mean a failure wont occur in time. It simply allows me to catch any that maybe DOA, or for any damage that occurred in transit from the manufacturer, and the possibility of missing sundries.?

Narrawa.

• Like 1

Hi Narrawa

If check all detectors you send out first your doing the buyer a great service. I guess most don't think a new in the box detector would come with trouble. I didn't think so but I've been prove wrong.

I'd like to see a new detector sent to me being this one never got out the door. When I seen it had a problem that's where I stop. I couldn't see myself having to look at the side of the control box and the light only comes on when you change the settings.

Chuck Anders

The Government gets the mythical $2000 hammers and $5000 toilet seats in part because every unit has to be acceptance tested before shipment. No popularly priced consumer products are made or sold that way.

Actually, most of the stories are B.S. - involving when the Government insisted on production of a small quantity of something which was either custom designed or which involved re starting a long dormant production line. I once spent long weeks looking for NASA approved leather for the valve seat of a rocket engine valve, only to find out that the only tannery which ever had that NASA certification had burned down a decade before! - EDIT - yes really - Space Rated leather! I made up an acronym for it "HDNC” "high density natural composite!" Didn't help find it, and nobody thought it was funny - story of my life!

A responsible producer has an ISO approved Quality Assurance System which calls for statistically valid sampling of finished product to ensure conformance with specifications.

It's easy to make fun of this stuff, but when done right, engineering, purchasing, manufacturing and customer support all have the same data and products get better and better.

Do the companies who make our tools have all this. I don't know, but given how TINY they are as companies, I suspect that they have a ways to go.

• Like 1

Well I got a email from Nokta and they will send me a new handle and I will send them the defective one. They want to see just what the trouble is. I hope the problem is in the handle and not in the control box. What I could tell is everything works correct on it. Now only time will tell.

I think if it was me I'd send both that has been tested but it's their cat and they can skin it like they want.

Chuck Anders