Nokta Gold Plus Trouble

californiagold

I'm sure I'll be happy with the detector when it's fixed. I don't think I've heard you say a bad word about Nokta detectors. Don't get me wrong I was not happy with a detector new out of the box with trouble. It's a first for me of the 45 years I've been swinging one. So I guess you could say I was due one.Ha

I've always got a backup. Like a 4500 , SPP ,GMZ and did have a Gold Big Pro. I sold the Pro to buy this one. Oh forgot about the Infinium LS and the SDC 2300 but sold it. I collect detectors like a friend collects guns. If you ever need a two box detector I have a Fisher too.

If I sold all my detectors the walls of my house would fall in.

Chuck Anders

I have not been quite as lucky but I have owned a LOT of detectors. So far have had to send back Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, and White's units for warranty work. I have owned a lot of a Fisher machines but can't recall one ever needing warranty. I did send a Gold Bug 2 back once just to get it tuned up, but that is it as far as I can remember. So far no issues with the Turkish models.

Chuck, the couple little things that I didnt like on the original fors has been addressed and changed on the new plus. My main thought was about the spiral coils. Beings I detect in brushy and rocky areas, those original coils get snagged alot. But the solid coils now are better. And the original coil covers were really cheap. I cracked one the first day. But nokta listened to its testers and changed the covers too. They are really well built now. I also sent back a few detectors of other manufactors thru the years. Some were a very serious failure. Sometimes you get a lemon from a high rated consumers report product even.

Good luck chuck

May the Fors be with you

californiagld

It's May the force of the Fors Gold Plus be with you.HaHa I can't say I've never had to send a detector back but never new out of the box.

About this detector I'd just like to been told to send it back to the dealer and sent another one. I don't care what the problem is I just a working detector. I don't care to be in the loop of finding their trouble. My money wasn't defective.when I sent it to the dealer.

Chuck Anders

Well, I used to run a service department dealing with all sorts of products. All warranties pretty much say the manufacturer will repair or replace the item at their option. I almost never saw any company do a full product replacement unless it was something small and pretty much one piece. Like a bilge pump for instance. It fails under warranty, they replace it. After saying you ran it dry or sucked up fishing line or hooked it up backwards, etc.

I am not saying this to defend Nokta per se but that is just how things are normally done. If you get a detector with a bad coil, any company is going to replace the coil, not the whole detector. Or in this case a handle, whatever.

Now, having said that this is where a local dealer does come in. If you had bought the detector from me when I was a dealer, first, you probably would not got out of the door until we put it together and checked it out unless you insisted. If that happened and you brought it back next day, I would have replaced either the detector or the failed part on the spot and sent you on your way, and then taken it up with the manufacturer on my own. That level of service is rapidly becoming non-existent as people turn to the internet and mail order for everything. Even then however I personally believe a dealer always has primary responsibility for everything they sell, and way too many dealers these days just fob it off on the manufacturer. Most dealer agreements I ever signed made it clear that part of the deal is taking care of customer issues. So when I hear dealers say stuff like "I did not make it so it is not my problem" my answer is "my money is in your pocket, so it is". The dealer is the last line of defense. We can blame the manufacturer for letting a bad in box unit out of the door, sure. But how about the dealer who did exactly the same thing?

I see on the forums a lot these days people just take it straight to the forums and the manufacturer and the dealers seem to be 100% off the hook these days and I just do not get that personally. If that is how it is to be then as a manufacturer I would cancel all my dealers and go factory direct for everything. Why share the profit with people who do not earn it?

By the way this was not aimed at you Chuck. I just got started and riffed on about something that has been bugging me for awhile.

• Like 1

Steve

This is the first detector that came in two parts that I've had. The only reason I'd want the whole detector sent to me being it may not be in the handle. Nokta is a long way from the US and if this is not a fix then I've got to wait it out again for the control box.

Chris is a great guy and he didn't tell me to go suck a egg. With me if I can get the help like Nokta is offering then I don't need the help from a dealer. I'm not much on second hand info being I'm a big boy and I can do it myself

You talk about MFG. selling their own product. That may work for some but as a whole I don't think so.. Too many people want to get their hands on a detector before they buy. Like the Nokta I'm going on the word of others that have one.

Yes I put my money down about a month before I got the detector. I not wanting more than what I paid for . Year ago I had a dealership from White's I too didn't let a detector go until it was checked out. The trouble with me I was like a kid in a candy store and didn't want to let it go.

Chuck

• Like 1

I hear you Chuck and don't disagree at all.

Earlier on I let Fisher off the hook regarding my personal detectors but they were the source of one of my biggest headaches relating to detector while in business. Now, this was the old Los Banos Fisher just after they sold to First Texas. At that time they made nothing much worth selling for me but the Gold Bug 2. I sold a lot of them and so placed an order for 20 of them one year. The first one I put together out of the box the ground balance knob fell off. The next one would not ground balance at all. About 1/4 of the detectors were bad out of the box and had to be sent back. I was so irritated I just stopped ordering any more Fisher product.

Finally one day I got a message from Dave Johnson himself. He explained that when they bought Fisher that First Texas also got a warehouse full of product that got sold and shipped. Unfortunately they had no idea at the time how bad the old operations were at the end but assured me he now had the mess cleaned up and asked me to give them another chance. I of course did so (who could say no to Dave?) and everything was fine from then on out. All I can say is if you are ever buying a used Fisher detector, avoid anything made in at least that least year before the sale to First Texas or immediately after. Quite a few bad CZ detectors got shipped also in that time frame. Many worked but were not calibrated properly so very poor performers.