Nox 600 On Well Trodden Ground

Goldpick

Looks like you already upgraded to a carbon fiber shaft -- good looking setup.  What's the coin next to the penny in the lower two photos?  Also, have you identified the two items in the upper right of the bottom photo -- one with an adjustment knob (oil lamp?) and the other a brass(?) knob on a rusty shaft?

• Like 1

Great finds, and yes I am jealous because I am still learning my 800.

Good luck on the rest of the sites.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Looks like you already upgraded to a carbon fiber shaft -- good looking setup.  What's the coin next to the penny in the lower two photos?  Also, have you identified the two items in the upper right of the bottom photo -- one with an adjustment knob (oil lamp?) and the other a brass(?) knob on a rusty shaft?

The other coin is a rather toasted early 1900's Australian Commonwealth half penny, not sure about the knob on the iron shaft though the other item is the centre section from an oil lamp.  The carbon shaft really completes the Nox, in my opinion it should have been a factory option from the get go.

My previous two detectors before the Deus were the Etrac and Explorer SE Pro, so it hasn't taken too long to get reacquainted with the Minelab tones again.  The lack of weight is certainly a good thing compared to the FBS machines, I really have been spoiled by the featherweight Deus. 

• Like 2

To give you an idea of what types of targets were previously cleaned out of the same site with the Deus, here's a few pics for comparison - and yes I dig everything in the search for elusive the gold coin.  I do consider myself to be pretty thorough, though you never get everything even after multiple visits (and due to many other contributing factors). 

If anything there seems to be the perception so far that the Nox 600 punches very deep on the sandy/loamy soils around here, even on the highest reactivity setting.  Thankfully there is very little local mineralisation to deal with other than pockets of ash/basaltic material from nearby volcanoes, hence cranking up the sensitivity still has the Nox running very stable and quiet on the cleaner ground away from the iron ridden house site.  One thing I did have a little difficulty with at first was the perception of depth via the audio, some of those .22 casings and lead targets banged through nice and loud, and from a lot deeper than first thought, so yes it does real well on the small low to mid conductors.  Happy hunting!

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 5

If I couldn't see the details of the coins and token, I wouldn't be able to discern that this is an Australian site as opposed to one in the USA.  Eating utensils, shotgun shell butts, harmonica reed, metal buttons,... so much in common.  Maybe that particular spur would clue in an expert/collector of horse tack, though?  I see at least one bottle stopper, maybe a second.  The turquoise one at least should be meanigful to someone with the matching bottle.  Thanks for the display.

• Like 1

Nice digs! 

The Equinox is a great cleanup machine.  I've been taking mine to a site that my hunt partner thought had dried up (he still doesn't want to go to it) and I've pulled about two dozen 1800's silver coins and a rare U.S. gold coin, all at a site that wasn't uncommon to dig no coins after a few days of hunting it with previous detectors.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If I couldn't see the details of the coins and token, I wouldn't be able to discern that this is an Australian site as opposed to one in the USA.  Eating utensils, shotgun shell butts, harmonica reed, metal buttons,... so much in common.  Maybe that particular spur would clue in an expert/collector of horse tack, though?  I see at least one bottle stopper, maybe a second.  The turquoise one at least should be meanigful to someone with the matching bottle.  Thanks for the display.

Likewise, I too can see so many similarities in finds between the US and here for the same period.  Mind you I have found an 1800's Indian Head and an 1830's US Eagle Naval buckle here in Oz as well, most likely left behind by US gold miners trying their luck in Oz.  Many of these older house sites do have separate stables, denoted by iron and lots of horse tack, buckles and lead rosettes lying around.

Am still pondering on whether to buy the 6" coil for the Nox, or just see what turns up the stock coil for now. 

Just have to be careful on where I tread due to many snakes being on the move now heading into Spring.  Here's a large Tiger Snake I came across on previous trip - usually sits in the top ten most venomous snakes in the world.😬

17.jpg

• Like 1