Dumping SDC 2300 Detectors

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I used to blame the tools, then I got the same tools as JW and still find 1/5th of the gold on the same day at the same location, so now I've only got myself to blame.  😵

Simon,

You are getting there.  You are becoming more and more like JW who has multiple personalities when he detects.  He adapts to the gold.  You have learned his techniques for telling a good prospecting story.

Some detectorists just remain harsh and abrasive and can't adapt their style or appreciate the style of others.  To listen/read from them becomes a tedious exercise in bashing people, places and things.

You are better as a Grasshopper. (You do know that TV show, right?)

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a SDC 2300 and a GPX 5000 and a Gold Monster. Each one has unique capabilities that can be used for hunting deeper gold, smaller gold, hunting in tight brush, underwater, hot ground etc. The first time I used my SDC  I slipped on a small rock ledge and fell 5 feet cutting and banging up my legs. As I fell I threw the detector away from me to avoid falling on it. It ended up 15 feet away bouncing and scraping over the bed rock. I had that sick feeling when I retrieved it, but turned it on and it never skipped a beat. Worked perfectly. Again I try to pick my machines and match them to terrain and the size  of gold and depth I will be detecting.

I do go back over an area with my other machines when possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rege-PA said:

Again I try to pick my machines and match them to terrain

I could not agree more. There is a hydraulic mining pit where I go (going now in 15 min...) where the GM is the only machine that consistently produces results. The area is full of trash so I ignore iron targets but still hunt in deep. It then comes down to lead or gold, with it being gold half of the times (consistently about 5-8 nuggets/hour with 0.08 - 0.5g weight range). Both SDC and GPZ are completely useless there. On the other had, only the GPZ gets me gold when I am at Rye Patch. So, one never fits all!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

(consistently about 5-8 nuggets/hour with 0.08 - 0.5g weight range

Sorry, meant per day....Per hour I wish

• Haha 1

If consumers just happily gobble up poorly designed machinery without complaint, then that is what will proliferate. Sure the detectors in question have some desirable features, but that does not excuse the lazy aspect of much of the design. If a company has little or no competition it will tend to produce a product that is convenient for themselves rather than being ideal for the consumer, who, if they tend to fawn all over such offerings, simply encourage the manufacturer to continue a less than desirable practice.

If the automobile industry behaved in the same way the Ford Edsell would still be in production.

• Like 1

I’ll give you this Reg - you are persistent.

Several folks have explained how the SDC met their needs well - did the “job to be done”.

Your criticism seems to be mostly based on MInelab’s failure to design exactly the machine you want for the job you have “to be done”. 

That leads me to wonder what job you think everybody should be doing so that the detector (which apparently doesn’t exist) would meet the multitude of needs that gold seekers - most of them far away from your own Australia - would be met PERFECTLY by a detector which Minelab is not making.

I have been often “taken to the woodshed” publicly and privately by our host - Steve about my long standing dislike for MInelab’s marketing - guess what - I just shelled out hard cash for an SDC. 

Why, because it fits a “job to be done” that I have.

For those who may be interested, here’s an introduction to “Jobs to be Done” theory.

https://www.christenseninstitute.org/key-concepts/jobs-to-be-done/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

If the GPX 6000 is indeed an SDC2300 and GPX combined in a more traditional detector housing with improved wireless audio and a bit lighter I am sure Minelab will have a hit on their hands.  

Maybe if it's $999. We have to start expecting more. That's basically just 2 old machines wrapped into a new box. Otherwise we end up with the US model of "same machine, new box" and a detector dark ages in AUS too.

If the 6000 doesn't have some significant improvements or new performance features well beyond wireless and slight weight reduction, and the machine is priced above $2000, I will begin questioning the future direction of Minelab consumer gold detectors.

It makes me wonder if the planned successor to the GPZ is just going to be a GPZ/GPX hybrid. Suppose you could run the TX loop in the DOD as a mono TX/RX for the GPX side of things. Benefit being salt mitigation and nothing much else I guess.

• Like 5

Rick Kempf, I take on board your remarks about 'the job to be done'. Quite right. I guess my 'job to be done' differs from yours. I reflect on the remarks of John Hider-Smith, the best detector operator that I ever met. "Oh, that's the sort of gold you want to find?"

• Like 3