White's 24K Coil False Signals / Touch Sensitivity

Theraker

False signals every time the coil touches anything.   Twigs above the coil touch the wire that plugs into my coil and it gives a false signal.  If my coil touches the ground while I sweep I get pounded with false signals.  I’ve cleaned the coil, lowered sensitivity, raised and lowered Vsat, locked ground balance and manually grabbed ground, discriminated.  I’ve tried new frequencies, factory default, but it won’t stop.  Any bump gives a signal.  Any suggestions? My first nugget is so close I can smell it!  Here are my last finds after 3 or 4 hours but had to stop due to the chatter from my detector. 

672C9332-F7F8-45ED-A1F8-267D0B864241.jpeg

First try another coil on the detector if that solves the problem it the coil, providing the test coil is ok and the problem is the same the fault is the detector. The problem you describe seems to be related to the shielding or its connection to me.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I’m going to buy one of Jim M. 6” concentrics and hope it’s the coil!   I don’t have an extra coil yet to test so I’m SOL til then.  Brutal this gold fever detecting is just killing me.  I’d do it 24/7 if I could and I haven’t even found a nugget yet!   Confirmed a secured and connected cable.  Still chatty. Thanks for the replies. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a GMX sport and both the 6" con and 4x6 dd coils give false signals if the coil barely touches anything. Do I need to get the detectior sent in to be looked at? It now seems that may be a common issue coming out.

The coils on the 24K and GMX are very knock resistant. If it is not a loose cable or some other issue like EMI, then service may be required. Though having two coils that do it is concerning. Usually its just the coil, but the odds of having two bad coils is low, so there may be an issue with the detector itself.

• The title was changed to White's 24K Coil False Signals / Touch Sensitivity

I had the same issue with my 6 x 10. Put up with it for more than a year. Whites ended up replacing it with a new coil. The problem was at the top right on the coil. Any pressure exerted there caused falsing. So, when swinging to the right, any contact with anything caused the junction of the rod.coil to put downward pressure at that spot, and I got a false signal. Same thing happened with anything bumping the bottom of the coil, especially on the right bottom. Whites let me keep the bad coil. Eventually I'll get around to making a "bridge" to span the bad spot, with new mounting ears, and can use the coil as a backup, assuming they won't be available anymore.

Jim

• Like 2

I think I may not have had the coil wire wrapped as tightly as I should have. I was doing big long wraps and I tried short tight wraps and I dont seem to have the issue and I do not want this awesome detector to get blamed. I am hooking up bluetooth to it this week with amazon taotronics just to see. Man those headphone cords can drive you up the wall, especially when youre used to bose wireless headphones lol. Hoping to head up to the sierras in the next week or two and bust out the gmx and new/used tdi sl special edition we just got, I hope the old man finds the nugget with the new tdi 😉

• Like 1