I know you can't take and sP01 in the water but could it be used to any advantage with the AQ?

What are your thoughts.  I'll ask Pat what he thinks.

Mitchel

I added this from the manual. 

Volume Control The Volume control adjusts the loudness of all audio responses. There is a trade-off between a setting high enough to hear a faint deep target, but not so high that a strong shallow target hurts your ears. It is good practice to lower the Volume before turning on the detector, especially if you are already wearing the headphones.

Threshold Control The Threshold control sets the level at which the background audio tone (the “threshold” tone) is heard. In most cases, faint target signals are easiest to hear when the Threshold is set to a low but clearly audible level. If the Threshold is too low (especially “silent search”) then a stronger target signal is required to activate the audio, resulting in a loss of depth. A high Threshold level can result in audio fatigue. NOTE: With the Threshold turned down, you will normally want to first adjust the Volume for a comfortable level on a strong target response, then adjust the Threshold for a comfortable threshold tone level.

2017_122108_5150_747.jpg

My Opinion, I know I don't need it for the head phones I use. Would it help with the stock head phones .... not much since I think the "AQ" Audio is on the edge of being perfect. Volume, Threshold  adjustments could not be better. Now the problem lies in the head phones. Being able to block all of the outside noise (Amblient noise). And the noise with in the audio of the machine itself. "other noise"

To show what I am talking about, my head phones are so loud and with the adjustments on the AQ very defined there would be no need. Only thing need is a on/off volume toggle for those moments audio is not needed.

Stock Head Phones on a selected target at 4 inch's target DB is 90/91

Skullie Head Phones I use 105/106 db's

Then add in the amplified audio of the AQ all is needed is the fine tuning adjustments of Threshold and Volume.

To show how a good set of head phones can add to the depth...also note total silence back ground allows faint to be heard and the clean audio of the excalibur. Being able to distinguish them from the "other noise".

202.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

In theory (and I say in theory only because I haven't tried it on this machine), because the sP01 isn't just an amplifier, it should bring up faint targets from within the threshold noise. 

Perhaps I need to buy more detectors so I can try them all. Sounds like a good excuse to me 😄

• Like 1