Playing With The Deus

Tometusns

I was showing my orx and deus lite to a friend and he wanted to buy the orx so I sold it and bought the deus controller. He loves the orx (so did I) and now I'm really liking the deus. 

I've been using 5-G-MAXX and checking each target with 6-DEEP (xy screen)to see the correlation between the two on targets. It takes very little effort to switch back and forth and I think I'm starting to see the difference between good targets and bad ones.(after a LOT of digging) I say lot of digging but I've only been out with it twice.

Anyways,  after hitting the signal I knew it wasn't a coin but the XY screen said better investigate...glad I did. My first Civil War spur. I think the extra info you get really helps with the dig or not dig decisions we all have to make. Just some thoughts so far using my Deus. Any advice appreciated! Thanks! Tom

20201009_152941.jpg

• Like 8

My only comment on G-Maxx (if you are using the default settings) is that the recovery speed of 1 is a little low in the event you do get into thick targets/junk, but you are maximizing depth with that setting.  Relic targets of brass and lead tend to "like" the higher frequencies more (18 khz, 25 khz), G-Maxx default frequency is 8 khz which is a good general purpose, middle-of-the-road frequency, but buttons my be more responsive to the higher frequencies.  For these reasons, I lean towards Deus fast at 18 khz.  Deus fast also sets silencer to -1 (off) which tends to reduce ferrous masking vs. 2 for G-Maxx.  Silencer is great for breaking up bottlecap signals, which ring up nice and high otherwise, but if bottlecaps are scarce, I rather have silencer off.  Finally, G-Maxx also uses zero iron volume.  Some level of iron volume (even with iron disc'd out) can be good when canvassing a site.  It can clue you in to concentrations of nails that might be indicative of a former dwelling or structure.  Anyway, great find, and just some suggestions.  But if you are happy with G-Maxx as is, for now, stick with it rather than trying to shoehorn in someone else's recommended alternative settings (like mine).  HH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi , here in France most Deus users use the Deus Fast nr3 mode which is , as says Chase , excellent in iron trashed areas with its 18khz freq and very good elsewhere.

I did not really try the Gmaxx nr5 mode 8khz because Deus fast is already perfect for what I am doing ,  Probably Gmaxx is more suitable for big targets at depth in low iron trashed areas with its 8khz relatively low freq.

Nice find your Civil war spur btw ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW - for relic hunting, my favorite coil is the 9" white HF round running at 28 khz.  Those came out before the X35 coils that can be dialed up to 25 khz, so either the 9" or 11" x35 coils are good for relic hunting too.  18 to 28 khz is a good relic hunting frequency range.  You can scan for shallow micro targets at higher frequencies with the white HF coils (54 khz for the 9" round and 72 khz for the 9" elliptical).  Not sure what coil you are running Tom, but if you are using G-MAXX with a white HF coil, then the frequency will not be 8 khz but will instead be the lowest default frequency for the HF coils which is 13 khz.

Thanks Chase. I picked up used 9 and 11" original lf coils. I may at some time pick up one of the newer (hf or x35) coils but right now I'm happy with the lf coils. 

I played with the Equinox and the Deus to check recovery speeds. I hunt with the Equinox at 7 recovery speed 99% of the time. The G-Maxx program seemed really close to the same and I usually don't listen to the iron unless I feel a need to check the target. I've just started but right now I'm liking G Maxx and the deep with xy screen to check targets. I always dig a lot of signals with a new machine so I can actually see what the sound/ lines (xy screen) are. Thanks again for the tips. I'm glad to read any input from more experienced users anytime. Tom

• Like 1

Gmaxx Bumped the reactivity up to 2 and iron volume to 1 while still comparing readings with the xy screen in the deep mode. Still learning. Today's deus finds.

20201016_160206.jpg

• Like 1