Quick Beach Hunt With The AQ

I had a chance to hit a beach for about 6 hours, so I loaded up and headed out. Not a very low tide, so I decided to try and run the Fisher Impulse AQ in all metal mode and see what turned up. I started with what little wet sand I had, and then went dry sand to purge the beach of trash. I wanted to see how the machine would handle a 7us delay, all metal, ATS at 0, sensitivity from 4-7, threshold barely heard, and noise cancelled best at 7 or 7.5 position. Disc was set to 4 when I checked some targets in tone and mute modes. I was not expecting any gold since this area is still sanded in heavily. I did manage to get some copper pennies and degraded coins that were brought back in at some point. Always a good sign to see coins degraded that much since they have been around a long time. No lead was found, so that tells you a bit about the condition of the beach. Decent amount of coins, a really corroded silver chain (I am assuming). I did not have my test kit handy, so I sanded a bit if the chain to reveal a silver color. Not aluminum, probably not nickel or zinc, not steel, so silver is my best guess. Can any of you AQ guys and girls tell me what settings you would think get the deepest all metal depth on dry sand and on wet sand? Hoping I had picked the right combination of settings for that type of hunting. This week there are some better tides coming, so I am planning on 2 days out to see what I can get.

PA100187.JPG

PA100188.JPG

PA100184.JPG

• Like 7

School

I think you are supposed to go get wet with that coil and not be afraid of the water!  You will have to take some wading gear with you next time and 'expand' your beach.

What did the tent spikes sound like?  haha

Mitchel

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

School

I think you are supposed to go get wet with that coil and not be afraid of the water!  You will have to take some wading gear with you next time and 'expand' your beach.

What did the tent spikes sound like?  haha

Mitchel

Mitchel, As soon as I can afford one of those titanium /carbon fiber $650.00 scoops I will  😄 I'm not getting any younger and hauling around a tank of an aluminum scoop is not my idea of detecting. Would love to do some ponds though! Them tent stakes sounded like a buried cannon at 2" 😧 Kind of like bottle caps do too.

• Thanks 1

Ok, gotcha on the scoop.

I've got a couple of cranes I'll use when I get one if there is anything that deep.  No cheap carbon fiber shaft for me.  It is all stainless.  I can't dig fast with them but I can go really deep.

My Nox tries to ignore the stakes but it ends up playing tricks with the size and shape.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Ok, gotcha on the scoop.

I've got a couple of cranes I'll use when I get one if there is anything that deep.  No cheap carbon fiber shaft for me.  It is all stainless.  I can't dig fast with them but I can go really deep.

My Nox tries to ignore the stakes but it ends up playing tricks with the size and shape.

Speaking from experience , some tent stakes magically transform into cellphones. Don't discount them...

• Like 1

I dig too many of them to know exactly what I'm digging.  There is enough of a 'mystery' attached to their sound that what I hear doesn't always ring a real bell in my mind.

• Like 1

You dug plenty of targets. The odds of hitting a gold ring are certainly in your favor.

• Like 1