Tdi Pro 18v + Battery Pack. 5 X 18650 With Dedicated Charger

karelian

A year full of distractions, so yes I kind of did forget about this project. All parts had been ordered and arrived in good time.

Assembly to follow in the next few days... with photographs and a performance test on the modified Pro I still have..

I'll take it steady and do it right, get the soldering tidy and follow the plan..

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

circuit.jpg

electronics-making-barrel-connector.png

• Like 6

The pcb is there to regulate the voltage on the battery pack, so that it will not over charge or over discharge. When plugged into the charger designed for 5 x 18650, I believe it stops at 21.5 Volts max. PCB also regulates the charge so the cells are evenly charged. I will do a parts list and links when I do the full write up. Quick tests to see if there is a noticeable improvement in detector performance. If the first pack works I have enough parts for a spare as well, both will  then belong to the modified Tdi Pro I am currently using. A modified Pro with upgraded battery pack, my idea of a serious beach machine..

tdi cerberus.jpg

• Like 3

Battery tabs soldered together, everything held in place with hot glue. Next step is to connect the PCB . After that I'l take some photographs and get started on the plug and shrink wrap plastic covers.

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1976 (2).JPG

Wired and soldered the PCB to the cells as per diagram. Used electrical tape to cover all connections, then moved on to use the heat shrink wrap. Started with a jet lighter, bad idea. Just use a hair dryer on hot. Next time it will be a bit better, I hope.

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Progressed to wiring up the plug, again using the diagram. Fiddly job but got it done. Long way from 14,8 volts..

Testing and parts list etc still to come.

All the best.

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

Hmmm, 19.93 volts.  I shouldn't be expecting anything to pop, fizz or blow up..

IMG_2012.JPG

• Like 1

A bit late in my day for testing, but you can see the Tdi Pro factory battery is a super tight fit in the battery compartment.

The red higher voltage battery is a bit smaller with more spare air inside the compartment. Again more to come in the following days, testing and parts list.

IMG_2027 (2).JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Researching the Reidman battery pack I notice a post by Reg the Tdi Guru (RIP), where he state the higher voltage is best matched with either White's or Miner John coils. Mention was made of the resistance of Minelab compatible coils..

So I'll conduct the comparisons between the standard battery pack and the 5 cell pack with White's and Miner John coils.

I'll try and keep it simple and just do an air test comparison. Coming soon.

• Like 1

Hollowing this project with great interest,although i do have the standard TDI and a backup battery for my TDI Pro,but as a result of the company going out of business the possibility of batteries become scares could mean that this project will be worth while looking into very seriously.

Thanks for taking the time to post this indepth project,always admire the amount of time that you put into the TDI testing especially the coils which has to be the best that i have seen and covers so many coils.

Thanks again

• The title was changed to Tdi Pro 18v + Battery Pack. 5 X 18650 With Dedicated Charger