Tdi Pro 18v + Battery Pack. 5 X 18650 With Dedicated Charger

karelian

Or you could get really serious and just get a very long extension cable and plug into the 240v.....😗

I tend to play it safe with my machines, but the modified Tdi Pro has been the exception. I've pushed that baby hard, like driving a rental.. Since it was already modified I just wanted to see how much the higher voltage battery could push things. Baby steps all the way, just that bit extra depth every time.  The Tdi Pro just hits hard all the way, maximum performance until the PCB kicks in at 16 volts.  I agree Tony that it is not worth pushing safety margins for a few extra centimeters, plan on enjoying my machines for some time yet. Who knows a few years from now I might cast an eye on a second hand GPX 6000. Until then I'll have at least one Tdi Pro to swing on the beaches and the goldfields.

Last trip with this machine will be to a less well known mining area, I'll work around the edges where I know there was large gold.  Large nuggets found between two and three feet.  I'll mount the larger 14 x 8 Digger coil and run her hot until the PCB spoils the party at 16 volts.... All the best.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 1:20 AM, Tony said:

And here’s me going back to a stock battery......well not quite....it’s a 3 x 18650 setup @ 11.1v. In another thread, I mentioned the super hotspot on my TDIBH board when running the 14.4v battery which got me worried. Being sealed up, there's probably less opportunity for the heat to dissipate. Even when opened, the hotspot was severe.....couldn’t touch it for more than a second or so without burning a finger. 
My depth results were a maximum increase of 2” over the stock battery. In fact, my current 11.1v Lithium setup sits in the middle (depth wise) between the stock battery and my retired 14.4v battery so I’m more than okay with just the 1” drop.

Regards,

Tony

Tony did I see one of your batteries with a LED volt meter? If so I was wondering how it held up.

I've been using my brothers smart charger with this power pack, had to replace the dedicated chargers connector which plugs into the male 2.1mm plug. A faulty female plug needs to be replaced, still waiting for the post man..  When the charger arrived it came with a male 2.1mm plug, which I swapped over for the female connector, which worked great for a couple times and then failed. Maybe I was a bit rough or it was too delicate, not complaining about a part that cost one dollar..

Ordered a different brand female plug, looks a bit more robust.. just like to get the parts right before final parts list and review.. Again the dedicated charger works with the 5 x 18650 battery pack and is the better option for those of us who don't have expensive smart hobby chargers..

More to follow, all the best.

charger.jpg

IMG_2129 (2).JPG

• Like 2

You don't need an expensive "smart" charger. You can buy a buck converter on Ebay, that allows setting the max charge voltage, for about $30.00. I've been using mine for several years. I can use it for both my 16volt 4-cell packs, and my 3 cell 12volt pack. I can use it for any pack from 1.5v to 30v. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DROK-DC-3-5V-15V-to-DC-0-6V-30V-Buck-Boost-Converter-5v-to-3v-12v-24v-2A-15W/333937403216?hash=item4dc0386550:g:aCgAAOSwjRlgYAxb

Jim

• Like 3

They say the devil is in the detail. If you are handy with an soldering iron and have young eyes then it does not really matter which style of pug you go for. The big chunky ones have the plus and minus connectors labels on them, are much easier to connect and for anyone with arthritis or poor eyes are recommended. Small and finicky vs large and practical, my opinions and experiences only...

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

dud plug.png

good plug.jpg

IMG_2151.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So i have an original big box I belive the tdi pro and old big box take the same battery not 100% on that because it's still In the mail. The baterys are super expensive and I would rather not pay $200+ do you think this mod will work with the big box?

5S 15A BMS PCB Protection Board 18650 Charger Li-ion Lithium Battery Cell | eBay

21.5 volts on full charge with cut off at 16 volts.

Big box Tdi, Pro etc same battery system. You can always rebuild your battery with new cells. 

Lots of PCB choices, just make sure the specs are the same. All the best.

• The title was changed to Tdi Pro 18v + Battery Pack. 5 X 18650 With Dedicated Charger