Does Anyone Hunt Without A Coil Cover?

Badger-NH

I use the cover, it is the protection of the part that is easier to damage, but to prevent dirt from getting inside, I covered the coil with trasparent plastic film and put the cover back on, then I cut the excess film, so the dirt does not enter inside.

• Like 2

Personally, I always use a cover on the beach.  Why?

1. Beach Sand acts like sand paper on anything it touches.  The cover provides protection against those scratches.  Just look at your cover after a few hunts and you’ll see what the sand does.

2. Covers don’t degrade performance.

3. Yes, it requires you to remove it to clean the coil but the protection benefits far outweigh the small hassle of a little cleaning time.

For me, why wouldn’t I use a cover?

Just the view from my sandy foxhole... 

• Like 1

You been out of the foxhole Colonel? I haven't seen you here for awhile!!👍👍

On 10/13/2020 at 12:49 AM, Raphis said:

Yes, I removed my coil cover...there’s not many downsides...it’s really personal choice...you won’t lose depth if you use your cover....that would be a deal breaker for all....if you opt to use your cover, you’ll need to take it off and clean inside from time to time...Dirt/sand can build up between the coil and the cover...I prefer to wash off my coil after each use, and I’d rather not have to take off my cover every time I want to douse it with water...water will also work it’s way in between the cover and coil, adding unnecessary weight to your coil...Especially when hunting in the wet sand and beach/surf zone....that little bit of extra weight of sand/water (an ounce or two) can wear you out sooner....when the extra weight is further from your swing arm, the resistance on your arm has a greater effect. In other words, you probably won’t feel two extra ounces at your detector’s hand grip than you would if that weight were on the coil or lower shaft.  If you’re “young” and strong, the little bit of extra weight probably won’t affect you...I’m middle aged, and prefer as much weight savings as I can...that’s why I added a 3rd party carbon fiber upper/lower shaft to my Nox...I felt the weight savings immediately after installing those shafts on my Nox.

If I were you, I’d try detecting with and without your cover...then you’ll know, in due time, what “you” prefer...that’s what matters the most!

Forgot to mention a word on pinpointers....If you use one, I’d highly recommend using a pinpointer tip protector/cover....a lot of hunters wear out the tips of their probes by scraping their probe tips inside their hole trying to locate their target....once you wear out your probe’s tip, you’re screwed...there’s 3rd party probe tip covers for most every probe, and some probes come with their own tip covers..

Thanks for the info.  I really appreciate it.  I didn't not know I should remove it the coil and clean between it. 

I never ever hunt without cover - still I somehow managed to crack a piece of resin out of the coil 🙈

D321A29C-D2D4-4D74-803B-14AB57268D73.jpeg