Does Anyone Hunt Without A Coil Cover?

Badger-NH

Nope, the only coil I've ever used without a cover is the Mars MD Tiger, and they actually recommend not to run with one.  I did get supplied with a cover for it, though the molding on it was pretty crap and a poor fit - easier to run without one.

I too wore the epoxy through to the bone on a Garrett 8.5x11" coil many years ago by not running a cover - a silly and expensive decision. 

In the past I could never understand why coil covers were sold by some detector manufacturers as an accessory and not included with the actual detector - a real penny pinching exercise in my book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldpick said:

In the past I could never understand why coil covers were sold by some detector manufacturers as an accessory and not included with the actual detector - a real penny pinching exercise in my book.

White's was one company that did that. 

Now some companies are starting to include things we don't even necessarily need, like the headphones and WM08 Module that come with with the Equinox. That actually angers me a little. They are afraid that if they don't include them with the detector, people might not buy them, which is true I suppose. 

I started detecting in 1972 when I was in school. I haven't used a cover from then on. One reason is they add weight to the coil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

Now some companies are starting to include things we don't even necessarily need, like the headphones and WM08 Module that come with with the Equinox. That actually angers me a little.

What would anger me (and plenty of other folks) is if they didn't include them and then I would have to pay their ridiculously inflated accessory prices to obtain them :rolleyes:.  If ML did not include those accessories and subtracted the cost to obtain them separately ($398!) from the price of the Equinox, then the 800 would actually cost LESS than the 600 by $150!  So don't be angry, just sell them if you don't need them and defray the cost of your detector.   Better to have options than to be boxed into a corner because accessories are not provided.  Agree though that the best scenario woud be to include a bare bones version and a bundle savings version and let the consumer decide which to go for.  Again, options are good.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

What would anger me (and plenty of other folks) is if they didn't include them and then I would have to pay their ridiculously inflated accessory prices to obtain them :rolleyes:.  If ML did not include those accessories and subtracted the cost to obtain them separately ($398!) from the price of the Equinox, then the 800 would actually cost LESS than the 600 by $150!  So don't be angry, just sell them if you don't need them and defray the cost of your detector. 

I would have no interest in buying those items separately. Few people would, especially at retail prices. But they can sell tens of thousands of them if they include them with the detector and still make a good profit from it. It just shows that it costs them practically nothing to manufacture this stuff. We are paying for it no matter how you look at it. It's also very wasteful to sell people things they don't need. Just more plastic for the environment. But they don't care as long as they make money.

12 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I would have no interest in buying those items separately. Few people would, especially at retail prices. But they can sell tens of thousands of them if they include them with the detector and still make a good profit from it. It just shows that it costs them practically nothing to manufacture this stuff. We are paying for it no matter how you look at it.

Ok but I do recommend using a coil cover.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Seriously though, ideally they should have provided the with and without bundle options as I stated above but you didn't include that when you quoted me.  The problem was they decided to market the 600 which probably cost them the same to manufacture as the 800 leaving little room to differentiate a bare bones 800.  In effect, the 600 was destined to be the bare bones alternative to the 800, but the 600 was missing some key features which was less attractive to enthusiasts.  They should have just offered a 800 with no accessories at say $699 and the accessory bundle at $899 and eliminated the 600 altogether.  Bet they would have sold a ton at $699.  It was all a marketing strategy not unlike what many automobile manufacturers do with trim tiers where you have to give up more features than you want to in order to not pay for the features you don't want, and yes, frustrating to many.  I understand your point.

No coil covers for me....I bought a Pro coil for my ML Explorer SE back in ‘08-‘09 when they first became available, so it has been over 10 years.  It still functions perfectly. I hunt mostly turf and beaches and I’m not a weekend warrior...I hunt 3-4 times a week, 4-10 hrs per hunt.  I used to avg 5 hunts a week, but now I have other hobbies I enjoy besides detecting.  I don’t expect my Nox’s coil to have any problems without a cover either. I also have a 13x17” coil for my whites TDI Pro (about 5 yrs now) and haven’t used a cover for that coil either, and it is still in great shape.

3 hours ago, Raphis said:

No coil covers for me....I bought a Pro coil for my ML Explorer SE back in ‘08-‘09 when they first became available, so it has been over 10 years.  It still functions perfectly. I hunt mostly turf and beaches and I’m not a weekend warrior...I hunt 3-4 times a week, 4-10 hrs per hunt.  I used to avg 5 hunts a week, but now I have other hobbies I enjoy besides detecting.  I don’t expect my Nox’s coil to have any problems without a cover either. I also have a 13x17” coil for my whites TDI Pro (about 5 yrs now) and haven’t used a cover for that coil either, and it is still in great shape.

So did you remove the one from your Nox?  I can see not spending extra money on a coil cover and taking a chance.  At least the Nox I got came with one installed.  Just curious of the downside of using one in your opinion. 

5 hours ago, Khameleon21 said:

So did you remove the one from your Nox?  I can see not spending extra money on a coil cover and taking a chance.  At least the Nox I got came with one installed.  Just curious of the downside of using one in your opinion. 

Yes, I removed my coil cover...there’s not many downsides...it’s really personal choice...you won’t lose depth if you use your cover....that would be a deal breaker for all....if you opt to use your cover, you’ll need to take it off and clean inside from time to time...Dirt/sand can build up between the coil and the cover...I prefer to wash off my coil after each use, and I’d rather not have to take off my cover every time I want to douse it with water...water will also work it’s way in between the cover and coil, adding unnecessary weight to your coil...Especially when hunting in the wet sand and beach/surf zone....that little bit of extra weight of sand/water (an ounce or two) can wear you out sooner....when the extra weight is further from your swing arm, the resistance on your arm has a greater effect. In other words, you probably won’t feel two extra ounces at your detector’s hand grip than you would if that weight were on the coil or lower shaft.  If you’re “young” and strong, the little bit of extra weight probably won’t affect you...I’m middle aged, and prefer as much weight savings as I can...that’s why I added a 3rd party carbon fiber upper/lower shaft to my Nox...I felt the weight savings immediately after installing those shafts on my Nox.

If I were you, I’d try detecting with and without your cover...then you’ll know, in due time, what “you” prefer...that’s what matters the most!

Forgot to mention a word on pinpointers....If you use one, I’d highly recommend using a pinpointer tip protector/cover....a lot of hunters wear out the tips of their probes by scraping their probe tips inside their hole trying to locate their target....once you wear out your probe’s tip, you’re screwed...there’s 3rd party probe tip covers for most every probe, and some probes come with their own tip covers..

• Like 2