Someone Convince Me The Nox 800 Is The Machine To Buy!!!

The 11" coil issue could be a faulty cap within the coil itself. I think that Nokta needs to look into that as it can effect other products they have and good chance it might have been a bad batch of parts and no fault of Nokta. The 11" I returned was way off and very unlike Nokta for their quality. Latent failures of a bad component is difficult for any manufacturer qc.

I can see people not liking the MK as it can be tweaky. One the reasons I don't crank up the gain more than 89 in any of the disc modes as I find it too unstable in many of the areas around me. The MK is a very hot machine in that respect, the exact opposite of my AT Pro. The MK with the smaller coil is very sensitive to small targets and mineral deposits in the high gain modes that make it tricky to tame.

You should look for a machine that has the best audio or an audio you can relate to and best grasp what the machine is doing. VDI is handy but don't think that will keep you from digging trash or missing targets. One of the reasons I like hunting in All Metal mode when possible is I can hear what the ground is like and hear the size and depth of a target. The TID gives me a hint of what type of metal it is.

Granted MF machines will have more accurate TID's than a single frequency machine but in highly mineralized grounds I really don't think they are that much better than having the right frequency and coil for the area.

The Nox is a good machine, so is the Deus or even the Orx. If your not dunking the control box and wading deep in water then your options for machines is much greater.

Personally I would wait and see what new machines are coming out, not that they will be a whole lot different than what is out now until someone figures out a new technology.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dogodog said:

I'm having a bout of lack of confidence in my MK. My second 11'' coil today started to act just like my old one. (CRAP)... Short story - Went over an area and hit a high 90's number and broken signal.  My buddy with the 800 went over it and dug two silver quarters a 1929 and a 1942. So here's my question to all, Do I get a Nox 800???? I mostly coin and relic hunt, with a beach maybe twice a year. So I want the good the bad and the ugly. honest and true answers on performance, warranty and coil choices. I'm not a big fan of the tones, but I might be able to forgive that for a more stable running machine. Not looking for overly complicated either. I keep hearing that there is a BIG learning curve? Can you run in factory settings and still be happy? or do you have to be a mathematician to learn it? 

Probably the best machines at the moment are the MLs Equinox , Vanquish and  XPDeus/Orx ( with no order of importance ). The MLs are more dedicated to low to medium iron trashed sites and beach hunting, while the XPs are more dedicated to inland areas from low to iron infested iron trashed sites. 

Yes the MLs have a learning curve because of their specific audio. I would say 10/15 hours to get used to them, so it needs a little patience . Perhaps you should look at some youtube videos to see if you like this audio or not ... Actually I find the Equinox a little too complex I prefer the simpler Vanquish ergonomy , also the Vanquish coil set V8 V10 V12 is excellent. 

The XPs audios are more "classical" and can be considered as "bodybuilded Tesoros" like someone wrote in this forum , so they are quite easy to master especially the Orx which is a simplified version of the Deus.

• Like 5

My dilemma is not having a dealer within a 2 hour drive, I like to touch and see what I'm buying. So I'm kinda stuck with buying online. I thought about the Orx also but back to the see, touch and hear thing. I guess I have a few hours on youtube to research. I'm trying not to make a hasty discision on the Nox, And I also heard that they might be releasing a new machine?  One more question, A lot of people switch to carbon shafts on the Nox is there any advantage to this, other than weight?

2 hours ago, dogodog said:

My dilemma is not having a dealer within a 2 hour drive, I like to touch and see what I'm buying. So I'm kinda stuck with buying online. I thought about the Orx also but back to the see, touch and hear thing. I guess I have a few hours on youtube to research. I'm trying not to make a hasty discision on the Nox, And I also heard that they might be releasing a new machine?  One more question, A lot of people switch to carbon shafts on the Nox is there any advantage to this, other than weight?

I made a 2 parts carbon shaft for my Nox  to save weight because I find the nox front heavy with the 11 coil. I saved 150grams vs the stock shaft. Saving weight was the only reason why I swiched to a carbon shaft on the Nox.

Actually I did the same on my Vanquish , I switched the low and middle shafts to carbons shafts , saving 100grams doing that..

On the Deus/Orx there is no real need to do this they are so light that I use them without any change ... 🙂

• Like 1

I didn't switch out to CF for weight but for quality locks/craftsmanship, adjustability (no detents), and the ability to add counterweight for balance.  If you plan to use the Equinox in salt water a lot, the quality 3rd party CF shaft systems are designed better to withstand the punishment of that type of usage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One note on the Orx is there are basically only 2 tone modes, Tone (3 tone including iron) and pitch which I assume is iron + vco, mabye someone can clarify that. The Iron audio 2 tone (zero inclusive) which means it is on or off 🙂

If your hitting a lot of woods and coin shooting the 9" hf coil is good. Larger areas and deeper searches then the x35 is the better choice.

As for iron audio adjustment, for years I used my AT Pro and lived without it. Never really had an issue with that as I can always disc out the small bits or turn it off with a flick of a switch. It is also not an issue on my Gold Racer as I can use one of my disc modes and trim it out and run the machine similarily.

I really think the Deus would do better for you as it has more bells and whistles as well as full tones that may give you more nuances we lack with tone modes. Knowing that you own a couple of Tesoros already you would probably adapt to an XP quicker than the long tone rolls of a Nox.

Last option is the Vista X. My only beef with the Vista X is the location of the triggers as they put 2 under the control box instead of 1 in front of the grip. Running the Tejon I am constantly using the trigger. If I hit a target I flick it forward to see what range the target is > aluminum or not, then pull back to hear better the size, roll and depth. Huge plus on the Vista X is the iron audio and volume.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dogodog said:

My dilemma is not having a dealer within a 2 hour drive

A few hours driving might be the best insurance you ever bought. For me, simply handling the detector tells me a lot. How does it feel on MY arm? How does it sound to MY ears? And how well can I navigate the controls without having seen the manual? I’ve been detecting for decades,  and I should be able to easily figure a machine out without the manual.

I really like a good menu system, and I really dislike controls that are only accessible by special, unmarked key combinations. The Minelab X-Terra for instance. You accessed Beach Mode by a secret two button push.  Can’t tell you which ones off the top of my head, and no amount of looking at the detector will tell you. Equinox has a couple of those, like accessing the Iron Bias setting.

None of the above requires leaving a dealer showroom, but are the things that tend to make or break a detector for me. I can successfully detect with dozens of detectors, but the difference between liking one and loving one is found in these types of details.

• Like 5

You still have the 7x11 coil and your 9" concentric so your not stuck without a machine. I would get the 11" taken care of while it is still under warranty.

Did forget to mention on the ORX is without the iron audio volume control it may be too noisy in some areas. Both my AT Pro and Gold Racer that do not have iron audio volume control have extended iron range 0-40 so I can trim out much of the iron noise with a better degree of accuracy than my MK.. Wonder why they never had an iron volume control on the ORX?

1 minute ago, kac said:

Wonder why they never had an iron volume control on the ORX?

So you’d consider the Deus instead. These omissions on lower price machines are not accidents, but carefully chosen. You will find myriad lower price models that lack one or two features a serious detectorist might feel is “essential”, for the sole purpose of moving the person to the higher price model.

• Like 6